What is DIN?
A Deutsches Institut für Normung or DIN refers to the line of internationally known technical standards of Germany used by auto stereo manufacturers across the world.
And, the standard does specify a width and height, but not the length for the head stereo unit of a car, usually referred to as the auto’s deck. General configurations of a DIN setup include the single DIN unit or double DIN unit. An auto’s head unit offers one unified interface (that consists of the buttons and screen), for the whole system. They are the primary features of a DIN system which are general in various autos across the world.
A lot of car owners typically look forward to updating the receiver of their stereo. It is a great chance to upgrade the auto’s entertainment audio system & update the dashboard technology. But, most people might not decide between single DIN vs. double DIN and the features that they must see in their stereo unit. When an auto expert suggests that you should buy the double DIN rather than the single DIN unit, then it is so because your auto came with such particular kind of a stereo by default and thus replacing this with the similar feature is a reasonable way to update your auto audio system.
Let us review the main points between the double DIN vs single DIN configurations.
Any vehicle you are driving, it contains either a double din unit or a single din unit. Whichever it’s, when you are going to make some up gradation or switch units entirely, it is worth knowing that which unit you have in your car.
When you have a large stereo, then the chances are that it is the double DIN. In case your unit looks simply smaller or more traditional, it is likely the single DIN.
The double-DIN stereo system would measure at seven by four inches, whilst the single DIN would measure at seven by two inches. However, the double DIN would be taller.
It does not mean that the double DIN system could not be easily replaced by the single DIN. There is an option of enhancing the double DIN along with an improved and new model.
When you have your single DIN in the car already, you could not accommodate the double DIN size. However, no need to worry as both units could be workable. It is mostly the size issue.
If you know that which unit your auto is actually equipped with, then you’re about to learn how this works & what does make it somewhat different from its alternative.
Differences between Double DIN vs. Single DIN
- There is a big difference between the double DIN vs. single DIN system in size. The double Din stereo system option is quite larger than the single DIN.
- The faceplate of double DIN measures 7 into 4 inches whilst, a single DIN system measures 7 into 2 inches. A single DIN unit provides a small interface for the beautiful design, but the large double DIN unit gives ease-of-use & a few other components.
- Their size is to consider while deciding between double DIN vs. single DIN stereo systems. Whilst the small single DIN stereo might be great for people without an interest in an aesthetic stereo design, and the larger double DIN unit interface permits for more tech and customization changes.
2. Features of Single Din vs. Double DIN
- A single DIN auto stereo system has a few features because the size does limit the functionality amount which might be suggested. On the other side, a double DIN auto stereo has also developed to add more technological connections and features. Some of them being the GPS mapping, HD interface, and game console compatibilities in its back seat, perfect for the long trips along with the children.
- The audio resources are also commendable. They give maximum experience while compared to a single DIN sound system. Double DIN unit has also integrated compatibility along with a lot of devices as well as apps that include your mobile phone for avoiding any road distraction. A radio receiver of a double DIN system is a bit sophisticated that offers the enhanced audio quality than a single DIN stereo alternative.
3. Usability of Single Din vs. Double DIN
- As far as its usability is concerned, it’s said that a single DIN auto unit are behind than this additional functionality; however, the complexity absence makes for the simple design. And, for the old generations who do not like modern technology, & for the minimalists who want to do driving quite simple, a single DIN audio system may be a preferred choice. The drivers might also distract while driving on the road, so they do not use much of the technology that is available nowadays. For such reason, you can buy a single DIN audio system. Also, drivers can still listen to music & enjoy some benefits of the latest stereo system.
- The double DIN system, being larger, provides so many attractive features which are considered as “smart technology.” The touch screens, mobile integration, and connectivity of application may attract modern digital users.
- These differences are surely dazzling on the basis of their usability between double DIN vs. single DIN sound systems.
4. Cost Differences between Single Din vs. Double DIN
- In terms of usability, size, and features, it is clear that a double-DIN auto stereo system is quite different from a single DIN stereo unit in several respects. You can also look at their differences based on value and cost.
- As you might have anticipated, depending on the features mentioned above, a double DIN auto stereo is a bit more costly as compared to a single DIN stereo system. The difference does range to be about 200 dollars or 300 dollars more. Primary option to make your personal changes in a double DIN car stereo, in combination along with the additional features, does make the large auto stereo unit a more expensive one. The less cost of a single DIN stereo system also reflects the differences between these two audio systems.
Which one is better than the alternative?
Determining which of the stereo system is preferable for your auto listening experience all relies on your personal preferences because this does with the other audio accessory that you might need to install in your car to heighten the audio experience or decrease potential issues in the factory car speakers.
The double-DIN sound systems, although larger, are not primarily of much better audio quality. Double DIN and single DIN stereo systems are a bit comparable while this does come down to this. The major difference between these two actually lies in their advanced technology, usability, and features. This also might be a big concern relying on which type of auto stereo that you are already enjoying in your car.
Changing and improving your car’s stereo system depends on an individual’s choice, some select to make advancements relying on what kind of the music they typically listen to, loud or slow, & how often. Plus, others may not get affected through what the audio stereo could do. They are much concerned with this being quite functional in the future.
The Important Traits to See In the Single Din vs. Double DIN
While you’re deciding between the single DIN vs. double DIN, then you would require having a clear notion of those features that you need in your auto’s audio unit.
1. Sound Sources
You might select between the typical CD player & the A/V receiver along with the color screen. A lot of modern users would prefer that receiver which features one USB port along with auxiliary input.
2. Radio Options
Every type of auto stereo receivers nowadays contains AM/FM radio. Hence, you need to look for such an option just like the satellite radio and HD Radio. And, the second option boosts the sound quality of every radio station whilst the first feature permits individuals listening to the radio stations that they like from anywhere.
3. Mobile Phone Integration
Drivers these days could not function even without mobile phones. Hence, the stereo receiver which could connect to the exterior gadgets through Bluetooth feature would be a great boon for the mobile phone users. People who like to listen to the music that streams applications such as iHeart Radio, Pandora, Spotify, and more would be happy to know several units contains functions for controlling these applications.
Now, as you know very well the main differences between the single DIN vs. double DIN stereo systems, you could tell immediately which kind of the system is installed in the car. Also, you would be much prepared to select which, in case any, replacements have to be done.
Learning about the sound system would permit for the sound experience which does fit with what you’ll want and need when driving & listening. Also, it is invaluable.