The advancements in the technology sector have come a long way. Today, we have smart gadgets that fit into our palms and around our wrists such as smartwatches for kids that help parents track the location of their kids and perform a number of amazing features as well.
Due to a huge variety of options, it can be difficult to pick the right one. This buying guide will discuss some of the best smartwatches for kids of 2020.
How to Choose The Best Smartwatches For Kids
Kids generally would always be in desire of whatever gadgets their parents have to themselves. Being able to handle such things on their own and think it is cool, they would definitely want to have same gadget. These days, choosing a good smartwatch for kids can be so tasking. That’s the more reason to consider some things before choosing a smartwatch for your kids. Here are some of the factors to consider in choosing a good smartwatch for your kid.
There are lots smartwatches with different battery life. When buying one for your kids, ensure you get one that meets your preference and still offer a longer battery life.
Device compatibility is another factor you need to consider because most of the smartwatches available on the market are designed to be a companion to a smartphone. So consider the type of phone your kid is using before making a purchase. Alternatively, you can go for the smartwatches that works without the need for a companion.
Interface and display
Do you want a touchscreen smartwatch for your kids or the ones with buttons? This depends on their preference and sometimes yours. Both has their pros and cons. But touchscreen seems to be a no brainer. Also, you might need to choose between an AMOLED display, LCD display and OLED display, or. Take note that you might be trading off a longer battery life by going for the first two options. But do you have a choice? Nearly all smartwatches for kids are now available in the AMOLED and LCD displays.
Personalization and design
Kids love to change things to their taste so it is advisable you go for smartwatches that allows swapping of straps and other personalization. Also, there are smartwatches for kids that offer different face finish, color, and size.
This includes waterproof, fitness of the strap, comfort around the wrist, alerts, and notification.
Let’s have a look at eight smartwatches for kids:
Top 8 Best Smartwatches for Kids in 2020 Reviews
|1. VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX||Best for young photographers||4.6|
|2. B.B.PAW Kids Smart Watch||Best activity tracker||4.8|
|3. Garmin vívofit jr ||Best user-friendly smartwatch||4.9|
|4. LeapFrog LeapBand Activity Tracker||Best virtual gaming smartwatch||4.9|
|5. Smart Watch for Kids Girls Boys||Best Educational Smartwatch||4.5|
|6. iCore Smart Watch for Kids||Best Interactive Smartwatch||4.5|
|7. Caref GPS Phone Watch||Best kid tracker||4.9|
|8. LG GizmoPal 2 VC110 Verizon Wireless||Best low budget GPS watch||4.8|
1. VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX – Best for young photographers
This smartwatch for kids tops our list because of the amazing features it packs. It comes equipped with a motion sensor, 5 games, front camera and a battery that runs for 2 weeks on a single charge.
- Photos And Videos: This smartwatch has a camera on the front that allows kids to take photos and videos while also offering dazzling photo effects.
- Touch Screen: The watch uses the latest touchscreen technology that kids love. It’s easy to use and very fast as well.
- Voice Changer: There’s a microphone that lets you record sound. Moreover, it also offers a voice changer that allows you to change the pitch of the sound to make it sound different. It’s a fun activity that your kids will love.
- Other Features: The watch is available in around 50 clock designs with some additional features including alarm, calculator, stopwatch, calendar, and USB connectivity to transfer photos and videos to your computers.
- 3-month warranty
- Charges with USB.
- 11 touch screen activities.
- Customizable watch face.
- Lock mechanism to restrict games.
- Limited space on the watch.
- No GPS.
2. B.B.PAW Kids SmartWatch – Best activity tracker
If you want to provide safety to your kid then this smartwatch can be of great help. It offers SOS, location tracking, and can even make phone calls.
In addition to this, there are other features as well including a calendar, calculator, and alarm.
- Location: The watch can be synced with a smartphone making it easy to track the location.
- Camera: The watch comes with a camera that lets kids capture photos. However, it does not record videos.
- Sim Functionality: A micro sim card can be inserted which allows you to make phone calls.
- LED Flash: There’s a flash button to turn on the light at the side of the watch and see in the dark.
- 1-year warranty.
- Parents can monitor kids.
- 1 button SOS.
- Pre-installed games.
- Free replacement if the watch gets broken.
- Not waterproof.
- Does not work well without a SIM card.
3. Garmin vívofit jr – Best user-friendly smartwatch
If your kid prefers style and functionality then Garmin can be a good choice. It doesn’t require charging and the battery has a one year life. It does not only offer exceptional features but even looks very good.
- Tracking: This smartwatch operates on Android 4.4 and also offers Bluetooth connectivity. The feature can be used to track the watch.
- Water Resistant: Your kid can wear it 24/7 as it is stain and waterproof. The smartwatch can also be worn during swimming sessions to serve as a stopwatch.
- Games: It comes with different pre-installed games that’ll make your child fall in love with the device.
- 1-year warranty and 1-year battery life – no recharge needed.
- Comes in 3 colors.
- Silicone strap doesn’t hurt the wrist.
- Stretchable material.
- Offers reward points.
- Special apps for parents to track children activities.
- Compatible with iOS 9.1 and above only.
4. LeapFrog LeapBand Blue (4-7 Year Olds) – Best virtual gaming smartwatch
LeapFrog is the ultimate smartwatch for kids who love to interact. It offers a pet customization option that can keep your kid hooked. Moreover, the watch offers many control options for parents to keep an eye on the kid.
It alos offers USB connectivity that allows you to transfer data.
- Pet Customization: Pick from 8 virtual pets to be your friend and customize them completely. Set their name, choose their color, and interact with them.
- Fitness Pal: The watch rewards kids with new pets when they walk and cover a set distance. This helps them keep fit.
- Challenges: It offers many interactive games for kids to play and enjoy during their leisure time.
- Water resistant.
- Parental controls.
- A free app that is compatible with iOS and Android.
- Attractive design.
- Comes with pre-installed games.
- No GPS.
- Battery life could have been better.
5. Smart Watch for Kids Girls Boys (3-12 Year Olds) – Best Educational Smartwatch
Perfect for both genders, Smart Watch for Kids Girls Boys, Smart Watch for Kids Girls is a multifunctional watch that comes with a camera, digital time display. It also offers a bunch of games and is quite affordable.
- The Panda Friend: The watch has a special feature/software called Panda. It responds to the touches made by the kid and sings songs as well. It’s like Talking Tom as it also repeats everything the kid says.
- Calculator: A built-in calculator lets kids perform basic mathematical operations such as subtraction, addition.
- Educational Games: There are 10 educational games in the watch that keep the child occupied. The games help nourish the kid’s brain with educational activities.
- 180-day warranty.
- Lock button to restrict kids from playing games.
- 5-7 days of standby time.
- Pedometer to count steps.
- Camera to take photos and videos.
- 1-year battery life.
- Lacks GPS functionality.
- Not very durable.
6. iCore Smart Watch for Kids (3 – 12 years) – Best Interactive Smartwatch
iCore Smartwatch is all about interaction. It offers a camera, voice changer software, stopwatch feature, photo filters, and clock faces.
- Games: The watch offers many multiplications and logical games that help get a kid smarter. Parents can, however, impose a lock to restrict kids from playing all the time.
- Multimedia: Kids can take photos and videos for fun. The smartwatch also offers photo transfer through the USB cable.
- User-Friendly: The smartwatch is a breeze to use thanks to the touchscreen technology.
- 32-day money back guarantee
- Available in 3 colors.
- Adjustable wristband.
- 22 clock faces to choose from.
- Stopwatch and alarm features are available.
- Very elementary.
- No GPS.
7. Caref GPS Phone Watch – Best kid tracker
This smartwatch lets parents breathe a sigh of relief as it offers amazing security and tracking option. However, must be subscribed to in order to enjoy full features offered by the watch.
- Location: The watch can be synced with an app and the location of the wearer can be determined from a smartphone or tablet.
- Phone Calls: While giving your kid a smartphone isn’t a good option, you can give them this smartwatch and talk to them whenever you like as it allows phone calls.
- Text Messages: Parents can also send text messages to the smartwatch.
- Shows location history in the app.
- SOS button in case of emergency.
- Comes in an attractive blue color.
- Supports Android/iOS.
- Not very durable.
- Does not play music.
- You cannot end the subscription.
8. LG GizmoPal 2 VC110 Verizon Wireless – Best low budget GPS watch
LG GizmoPal is for kids who love to be stylish. The vibrant pink color looks good on the wrist and the watch offers great features, too.
- GPS Tracking: Connect the watch with your iPhone or smartphone to track your child’s live position. It supports Android 4.0 and iOS 7 or higher.
- Calling: Calls can be made and received from up to 4 authorized telephone numbers.
- Durable Design: The overall build quality of the watch is quite commendable and is meant to last for a lot of time.
- Supports two-way communication (calls).
- Comfortable to wear.
- Supports both Android and iOS.
- Not waterproof.
Smartwatches For Kids FAQs
- Does the child need to have a smartphone for a smartwatch to work?
There are android powered smartwatches which can work just fine without pairing with a phone. Some of them can even be used to make calls, thereby serving as both a smartwatch and a phone.
- Are smartwatches kids-friendly?
These smartwatches are designed with the kids in mind. They often come with preloaded educational apps, games and other software that are meant to appeal to kids.
- How expensive can smartwatches for kids be?
The price tag could be the first major concern when purchasing a smartwatch. There are some of the smartwatches that are quite cheap depending on your choice. You can get your kid a smartwatch for as low as $50 which is a palatable option to consider for your kid.
These 8 smartwatches for kids are state of the art gadgets that will not only keep the kids entertained but will also give peace of mind to the parents thanks to the security features they offer.
Our #1 pick is Garmin vívofit jr. It works very well and has all that you expect from a phone. However, it’s a bit expensive. If you want an affordable option, try B.B.PAW Kids Smart Watch. It also lets you track your child’s location and comes with a warranty.
Get your hands on Smart Watch for Kids Girls if you want a watch with a good camera.
All these products are excellent. Pick one that suits you the best.