The market is flooded with smartwatches, and the trend is still on the peak. People want it to be fully customized but for this, 4G LTE connectivity is necessary. If you are a recent buyer of a smartwatch, you ought to know if your purchase supports cellular function and does not have the eSim feature that allows cloning the phone’s sim card. It seems to be rocket science but it is not. Just take care of a few things before buying a glitzy new smartwatch with 4G connectivity.
As per data available, nearly 16% of consumers in the United States own smartwatches that are now the lighter versions of phones. Moreover, these smartwatches can be used for making phone calls, browsing the internet, and texting.
Kids’ smartwatch is the most popular consumer category. Parents can easily track location of their kids at any point in time and establish communication without phones. These smartwatches are adding peace of mind among parents and they are inexpensive as compared to phones. According to forecasts of CCS Insight, the wearables industry raise over $10 billion in 2017 and will reach almost $17 billion by the year 2021. The wearable category includes smart clothing, fitness bands, and wearable cameras.
Things to Remember before Buying a Sim Card
Smartwatches are an extension of cellular technology to which they synchronize. There are some stand-alone models also. They can work independently and form a connection through a GSM sim card. The watches other than this, use Bluetooth and pull down the content from the nearby phone using a cellular connection. The sim card uses an authentication key and identification data to connect to the carrier’s network. This information is stored in a chip and enables connectivity. Along with the sim card, the other important thing required is the internet.
It is evident that choosing an internet plan for smartwatch connectivity is based on its usage. The more is the usage, the more requirement of the internet. However, a minimum of 10 GB data per month is recommended for streaming videos and music. Consider some important points before you are going to buy a sim card for a smartwatch.
1. Sim Card Providers for a Smartwatch
Most of the time companies selling mobile phone sim cards also sell sim cards for smartwatches. After purchasing, get the plan as per your requirement and instead of annual plan opt for the monthly plans.
2. Compatibility of sim card with smartwatch
It is not necessary that every sim card is suitable for your tiny smartwatch and fits into it. The nano sim cards are only appropriate for smartwatches. Moreover, the carrier network should also be compatible with a smartwatch. It is essential to know that your device unlocks every network. However, if it does not, then do not freak out because it can be opened easily as well. It will be better to know that you get this information at the time of purchasing.
3. Sim Card Data Plan
The data required for your smartwatch sim card is dependent on the quality, quantity, and frequency of internet use. If you are planning to substitute phone data with smartwatch data, then look for the data in the range of 10-20 Gb every month. It also depends on how long the data is used and how it is used. It is recommended to buy a smartwatch with an eSim facility as it cancels out the inconvenience of getting a new sim card for a smartwatch.
Inserting a Simcard into a Smartwatch
The method of inserting a sim card is the same for almost every device, whether it is a phone, a tablet, or a smartwatch. We will discuss the way to do it in a smartwatch.
Installing a Sim Card
Sim card is the essential requirement for operating any mobile device. This basic unit enables the device to connect globally and perform various functions. The three types of Sim cards are Nano, micro, and regular. Different models support different kinds of Sim’s available.
Follow the given steps to install a Sim card:
Open the back cover for inserting a Sim Card.
- Step 1: Press the power button for some time to turn off your watch. The power button is present on the right side of the device.
- Step 2: Now insert the spudger in a space present between the back cover and the rest of the device’s body. The space is present on the device top.
- Step 3: Very gently twist the spudger and disconnect the clips. These clips hold the back cover’s top part to the phone’s body. While the process, you can hear the clicking sound.
- Step 4: Gently move the spudger across the area of the rear case to disconnect all the clips. You can hear clicking sounds.
- Step 5: Lift the back cover and insert the spudger’s flat end in the notch present above the battery, pry upwards. Lift out the battery (may or may not be needed) and keep aside.
- Step6: Place the sim card in the device’s sim slot. The orientation of the sim card should be the same as the figure that is next to the slot. Make sure to place the sim correctly.
- Step7: Put back the battery and then the back cover in its position. Press edges, and while doing this, you will hear multiple click sounds. These sounds will ensure that back cover fits on the phone’s body.
- Step8: Long press the device power button to turn on the device that is located on the device’s right side.
Smartwatch and the Appropriate Sim Card
The most important thing is to know which sim card is suitable for your smartwatch. For example: if you know nano sim cards are appropriate for your teeny-tiny watch, then get the one and insert it without the hassle, and you are all set!