Customizing a skateboard can be really exciting. Over the years, we have come down a long way in setting up our own skateboards. While all of its components are readily available in the market, you can also find a wide collection of the best skateboard decks.
You will be overwhelmed with the kind of options that are available in the market in skateboard decks. However, it is essential to narrow down some of the significant ones that are not only durable but also provide a great amount of protection and safety.
In this post, I am going to go through some of the significant aspects related to the decks. First, let’s unfold the criteria of evaluation, followed by some genuine product recommendations. Let’s go:
How to Choose the Best Skateboard Deck
Skateboards a type of sports equipment used for the sport of skateboarding. The smoothness of the skateboard depends upon the length and width of it. It comes various lengths but width varies between 7-10 inches. So if you are looking for the best skateboard, you need to check out some features before buying one for yourself.
1. What Should Be The Length A Deck?
As stated earlier, skateboards come in various lengths and colors. The vertical distance between the two tips, the tail, and the nose tells the length of the skateboard. If we talk about penny boards, these come in 22” and 27” and shorts boards length can be from 28” to 32”.
Being a beginner, it is important that you pick a skateboard deck on the basis of width and not length. Width is the most important aspect that one needs to be looked upon so as to gain smoothness and good experience of skateboarding.
2. What Is The Ideal Width of A Skateboard Deck?
The style and smoothness depend upon the width of the skating board. You can have a smooth ride if the width is suitable to your feet and height and if not, it will be troublesome.
Narrower skateboards will lead to imbalance causing injuries. 7.5” width is enough for teenagers and adults whereas wider width is suitable for professionals, skating on the ramps and pipes.
3. What Is The Ideal Wheel Base of A Skateboard Deck?
The wheelbase is the distance between the centers of the front and rear wheels. The mounting holes are situated on either side of the deck and the distance between them is wheelbase.
Nose and Tip: These are two ends of the deck. Not much difference but the nose has the bigger role to play.
Concave is the curve between the nose and the tail. The skateboard decks have many kinds of concave and these help in controlling the ride.
One should also be aware of the factors that determine the quality of the ride, for performing tricks and adding more grip to the shoes. There are different categories of rails which include rounded rails, sharp rails and gas pedal rails.
Talking about sharp rails, these help in adding grip to your shoes whereas rounded rails are good for doing tricks. One of the other rails called the gas pedaled rails are most special as they are not too sharp and less concave, which helps the rider to control its movements.
Kicktails are best known to perform all the tricks of skateboards as it has a high curve at the tail. The front kicktail is usually called the nose while back kicktail is referred to as the tail.
It aids in sharp turns and slides and also helps in doing basic skateboarding trick – ollies. In comparison to short boards, long boards have subtle kicktails. Now, let us know more about the different concave shapes of the skateboard.
This is the most commonly used concave skateboard which is an arc similar to a subtle U- shape. This enables to have a proper grip to your feet while just riding or performing tricks.
Similar to the radial concave is a progressive concave with a flat central part. To add a good locking system to the feet, it has higher edges to its concave.
As the name suggests, it is similar to letter W which has an extra curve only towards the tail and this helps in turning the skateboard. The W concave easily shifts the energy from heel to toes thus helping in turning the skateboard smoothly.
These are old fashioned skateboards and are not in use nowadays. It had more space for feet and are rarely used.
Camber v/s Rocker
According to ones use, there are two other curves namely camber and rocker which can be differentiated on the basis of size and shape. These curves have a great impact on your ride. The chamber is raised in the middle which has a greater center of gravity enabling it for easy cruise boards rides.
As the center of the gravity is low on hilly surfaces the rocker curve is mostly preferred by the skateboarders. According to the usage of the skateboarder, we can opt for the best option which will make our slides more smoother and easier giving more fun and experience.
So these were the different parts of the skateboards deck that helps in controlling the rides, gripping the feet, taking turns and providing locking system to the feet. Thus making our rides more safe and enjoyable. Thorough knowledge of the skateboards enables the rider to choose his perfect skateboard.
Now, let us know more about the styles of the skateboards that shows us the style you can choose from and have a wonderful and thrilling experience.
4. Types of Skateboard Decks
As the name goes these boards are shorter in length and best for doing tricks. Performing tricks on these short boards on the streets or park is an excellent choice as they get a lot more air to compare to another different kind of boards. Choice of short boards helps to support the tricks.
Cruiser is the type of shortboard which is not much longer in length. These boards are generally preferred by children and adults both as they are very easy to operate and handle. These cruiser boards are restricted for riding only.
Longboards helps in transportation only. One should not perform any kind of tricks on the longboards as these are very heavy and are not easily managed. Their decks consist of longer length suitable for transportation.
As compared to longboards, these do not have a kicktail that provides the way of performing tricks, turns and slides on skateboards. Old schools are basically used for skating over ramps and if you only need to solve the purpose of riding around, a flat or low deck or no kicktail should be used.
So these are some of the styles, shapes, and sizes that are available in the market, that one must follow while picking up the right skateboarder. Now, let us discuss the material used in the making of the skateboards.
5. What are the materials used in the making of a skateboard deck?
The material that is used in the making of the skateboards constitutes the quality and the durability of it. The quality of the material so will be the long life of the skateboard. These skateboards are usually made up of wood, bamboo, plastic, fiber, and plywood.
Due to its flexibility, Maplewood is one the best option for constructing a skateboard. It can be molded easily and this wood is found in abundance and most widely used in the making of skateboards. The amount of sheets used for making different boards varies accordingly.
The weight of the skateboards depends upon the number of the layers of the plywood used. There is a reason for using the layers of plywood instead of using it as a single piece, as these layers add extra strength to the skateboard. As it is vital for the durability and flexibility of the skateboard.
The newer version of the skateboard is the plastic and carbon fiber that is commonly used for cruise and short boards. The plastic board is also a good option because of its lightweight and easy to handle the property.
The plastic skateboards are a boon to the kids who enjoy doing tricks. Due to its lightweight property, plastic boards are easier to carry, manage and control. Durability is also one of the major factors.
The procedure related to Maplewood skateboards is still the same as in bygone days. Whereas the other skateboards building methods change from time to time. The newer methods being used for building up the skateboards are much lighter and stronger.
Top 8 Best Skateboard Decks of 2019 Reviews
So, its time to explore some of the essential products in the market.
|1. Skateboard Collective||Quality Deck With Great Features||4.1|
|2. Ztuntz Skateboards Bucktee Plankton Park||Super Stylish Deck||4.5|
|3. Bamboo Skateboards Graphic||Extremely Attractive Skateboard Deck||4.2|
|4. Sk8mafia OG Logo PP 8.0 Deck||Most-desired Skateboard Deck||4.5|
|5. Baker Logo Black / White||High-Quality Skateboard Deck||4.5|
|6. Santa Cruz Screaming Hand Camo Grey||Strong Skateboard Deck||4.3|
|7. GLOBE Skateboards G1 Argo Street||Durable Skateboard Deck||4.3|
|8. Powell-Peralta Bones Brigade Mike McGill Skull and Snake||Exclusive Skateboard Deck||4.9|
1. Skateboard Collective – Quality Deck With Great Features
I will start my list with Skateboard Collective deck which is a simple deck but enriched with amazing features. Starting from the making to the over performance, everything about this model is simply matchless. Also, you can find it in a variety of sizes.
- The plain bottom of the deck gives you a lot of liberty to customize the deck in the way you want to.
- The top sheet gives you versatility and some style to the deck. You can also decorate it all you want.
- There are 7 layers of maple to provide a sturdy base to the deck. It is a durable piece and won’t break even on the hardest terrains.
- The 8-inches width of the deck gives you sufficient room to accommodate your feet.
- The slip-free upper makes sure that you enjoy comfortable and safe rides.
- Slip-free deck
- Extremely durable
- More room for customization
- Available in single top-sheet color
2. Ztuntz Skateboards Bucktee Plankton Park – Super Stylish Deck
So, this model from ztuntz is another classic option available in the market. You can look at the style, it has a fashionable appearance. Also, this model is available in different sizes. You can pick the dimensions according to the size of the user.
- It is made with 7-ply hard rock maple lamination which gives it suitable durability and the Aerial Bond helps in providing great stability while riding the skateboard.
- The size is suitable as there are versatile options available in it. You can select from different sizes.
- The design in itself is quite interesting. Sure, you don’t get enough room to create your own style with it but you see, it is quite happening in itself.
- Made with solid material
- Not enough room for personal design
3. Bamboo Skateboards Graphic – Extremely Attractive Skateboard Deck
Bamboo Skateboards is an interesting brand that came caught my eye with this superb product. This deck is made to last for the longest time possible. The crafting, material, and shape, everything is done thoughtfully to give the most comfortable rides to the user.
- This model is constructed with bamboo wood. It is far more durable than maple wood and also lightweight so that you can conveniently try the tricks.
- Also, the wood is shock-absorbent. You don’t feel the jerk as you land on the ground. The deck will also not break even if you take it on rough terrains. You can try the jumps with this deck.
- It is tested for strength and turns out to be among the strongest decks manufactured. It can effortlessly handle the pressure.
- The material used in making is eco-friendly and quite sustainable. It can maintain strength and perform better.
- Highest-quality bamboo
- The top-sheet is a little girly, maybe guys will not like the style as much
4. Sk8mafia OG Logo PP 8.0 Deck – Most-desired Skateboard Deck
Alright, so the next model to be discussed is from the brand called Sk8mafia. I will get straight to the point. There is attractive design available in this model. You get such huge versatility which is suitable enough to impress you. That’s the first thing which caught my eye.
- It is a suitably sized deck with very little design on the top. You can do a lot of impressive work with the top sheet, add your own style to it.
- This is available in various sizes so you can pick the size of the deck that fits you the best.
- The deck has got pre-applied grip tape so that you don’t fall out of the skateboard. You can experiment with different tricks and flips with it.
- Extremely light in weight
- Suitable for flips and tricks
- Wonderful quality
- The designing is not too impressive
5. Baker Logo Black / White – High-Quality Skateboard Deck
Baker is among the leading brands that manufacture superior-quality decks for skateboards. I would say that this is the favorite brand of all the people that like to make their own skateboards. Surely, the cost is a concern but what can be more expensive than your child’s safety, right?
- This is a super-comfortable model that is made from high-quality maple wood. You can expect great stability from the deck too.
- This model is practically unbreakable because of the high-strength of the wood. You can jump with it and land on any terrain without the fear of breaking it.
- The beautiful design does not require more fanciness to it. You can just use it as it is. However, there is a little room for your own creativity if you like.
- Professional-grade deck
- High in quality
- Gives awesome stability
6. Santa Cruz Screaming Hand Camo Grey – Strong Skateboard Deck
If you are such a fan of skateboarding and likes to make your personal skateboard then this is an explicit option in the decks. The shape, the style, and the design, everything about this deck is appreciable. You can consider this to be among the strongest decks available in the market.
- This model is developed with the skills that come from 40 years of expertise in making skateboard decks.
- It is suitably sized in the length of 8.5” which makes it a great choice for kids of different sizes.
- The weight accommodating capacity is simply matchless. You can count on the strength of the deck for your child’s safety.
- Impeccable design
- Highest-quality material
- Great strength
- Liked by all the users
- No scope of personal styling
7. GLOBE Skateboards G1 Argo Street – Durable Skateboard Deck
People who want to make sure that their skateboards reflect their style completely, this is an ideal model of choice. It is practically blank from the top which gives you the opportunity to dress it the way you want to. You can go limitless with the styling of the product.
- I am quite impressed with the wood used in the making of this model. It is resin 7 hard rock maple which brings great strength and stability to the skateboard.
- The wood won’t break as you jump or try to do a trick. It is shock-absorbent and gives you a comfortable landing.
- The concave design gives you the choice to ride the skateboard on the fastest speed possible, without any damage to yourself. It gives epic control to the rider.
- Effortlessly amazing
- Durable wood
- Gives more support
8. Powell-Peralta Bones Brigade Mike McGill Skull – Exclusive Skateboard Deck
Don’t want to go through the trouble of designing the skateboard, No Problem! I have got the right product for you which is fancy and productive. Of course, if you have a boy to ride the skateboard then this model will do just fine.
- The brand makes a lot of difference. Powell is the most established and powerful brand in the market to manufacture leading-quality skateboard goods. You will be thrilled with the quality. This is the first strength of this model.
- It has an impressionable design imprinted on the face of the deck. Your child is sure to love it.
- The shape is suitable for all kind of tricks that you ever thought of doing.
- The wood used in the making is of greatest-quality. You can count on the strength of the wood to keep your child safe as he swivels his way through the roads of your town.
- Brand value
- Gives effortless riding
Prices & Brands of The Best Skateboard Decks
After all these features of the skateboards, one really wants to know about the pricing and brands of it. So let us know how much a decent skateboard costs?
Decks prices vary from brand to brand. And if you are looking out for a decent skateboard with affordable rates, you can buy it under $100. One must know which skateboard suits you better, related to the size, shape, style, and needs. It should be durable, lightweight and easy to handle.
And if you are looking for a particular brand, it is your personal preference but it should meet your requirements. Brand, quality and material being used, determines the cost of the skateboard.
How Much Will The Best Skateboards Deck Costs?
The most important factor the buyer needs to know before buying the skateboard is its durability and if your concern is about decks life, it totally depends on the usage and quality of it. Generally saying, you will have to change your skateboard within 2 years of purchase as its durability totally depends upon its way of usage and how much weight it can bear.
Solving the purpose related to transportation, you need to buy penny or cruise boards that are suitable for riding, as they are short and better than other boards that are used for performing tricks. If you are good at handling the longboards, then you can opt for these too.
All the models that I have mentioned above are my favorite. There are some that give you enough scope for creating your own style while others have a mesmerizing appeal that does not require any styling.
Whether it is Powell skateboard deck or Santa Cruz, all of them have amazing brand value. You can rely on the quality of the products.
While choosing anything for the kids, our prime concern is to looks for the models that are safe in nature and gives us peace of mind. Well, as a mother, I understand your concern. Therefore, I have only sorted the models that according to me are better than their counterparts and can perform suitably.
Go ahead and give them a shot and buy the best skateboard deck. You won’t be disappointed.