A skateboard has become necessary gear for kids. The trend is more prevalent among kids because not all the adults are fond of riding a skateboard. When we talk about a skateboard, its wheels are the first thing that we want to consider. The best skateboard wheels can have a different meaning to different people. They considerably vary with the kind of skateboard in the picture, the skill level of the skateboarder, and purpose of the wheels.
So, the right interpretation should be the kind of wheels that are most suitable for different people. In this guide, we will not just make some strong recommendations but also put forward the tips to help you find the best skateboard wheels for your need.
How to Choose The Best Skateboard Wheels
The Shape is a major factor in the selection process of the best skateboard wheels. Before we go any further, it is important to know about the shape options available for the buyers.
Well, there is not a lot of versatility in shape. However, the options available are mentioned below:
- First is the Narrow Outline Wheels that have smaller lip-radius. They come in contact with the ground less than its counterparts. That is why these wheels can provide more responsiveness, lighter weight, and less friction. These wheels are highly suitable for street and technical skating.
- Then there are Wider Wheels that are beefy and sturdy in nature. These give faster rides. There is a little bulk to the wheels so you cannot expect them to leave the ground very quickly. However, they do provide great stability to the rider.
- At last, there are Cruiser Wheels that have a wide-round outer lip and grips the ground better than any other of the shapes mentioned above. You cannot enjoy technical skating with these wheels. But they cruise quite well.
These are the three shapes that you should consider while making a purchase. If you end up buying the wrong shape, then it might ruin your entire experience of skateboarding.
Buying Guide To The Best Skateboard Wheels
Simply saying, the wheels are the most crucial part of a skateboard. They are the reason you are able to move the gear. However, while selecting the right product, it is important that you follow some guidelines and understand the structure of a skateboard wheel.
The wheels are measured in both, diameter and durometer. Diameter relates to the wheel size and durometer is the hardness of the wheels. Anyways, let’s take a look at each aspect in detail.
The diameter is measured in millimeters and the average range that you can find is between 50 to 75 mm. Smaller the wheel slower will be the rides. As the wheel size increases, the speed also increases consequently.
Since the diameter is straightaway related to the speed, you must also note that it affects the sharpness of the wheels and their turning ability.
I would like to elaborate on different ranges of the wheels and their effect on the performance.
- 50 – 53 mm: This range makes the smallest skateboard wheels which are perfect for the beginners. They provide the highest stability which helps the novices to learn skateboarding, without falling.
- 54 – 59 mm: This is the range that goes great for the beginners as well as intermediate riders.
- 60 mm or More: Professional riders use the diameter of 60mm and more. These wheels are mostly given to the longboards. However, you can also find these on a skateboard. These are easy to roll on any terrain and created for speedy riding on rougher surfaces.
One should choose the wheels, depending on their skill level. Please be careful while making this selection. Skateboard wheels are not inexpensive. Therefore, don’t waste your money by aimless spending on products that are not suitable for you. I have simplified and ranked the wheel diameter suitable for different people. Hope this will be able to help you.
As I said earlier, durometer is the hardness of the wheel. This is the most crucial segment to consider while picking the wheels as they determine the purpose of purchase. The soft wheels are good to perform well on the rugged surfaces.
They also work well while running on cracks and pebbles which is great for daily transportation and cruising. The hard wheels are suitable for smooth and sleek surfaces like ramp, pools, park street, etc. I have put together this guide to help you understand the durometer better.
- 70a – 80a: These wheels are softer which makes them finest for cruising and longboards. They can roll seamlessly on rocky surfaces such as hills, dirt, street, etc.
- 81a – 90a: These are averagely scaled tires, used for various purposes. These tires are neither ideal for cruising and nor for professional usage.
- 90a and More: So, these tires roll perfectly well on smooth surfaces like pool, or ramp, or a skate park. These are the chosen range for professionals.
You will get an exact range of durometer along with every product you search. This will give a better idea of the specified range on the product is suitable for you or not.
3. Contact Patch
The contact patch is responsible for the performance of the rider. Basically, it is the portion of the wheel that is in contact with the pavement.
The larger wheels of the skateboard will have a large contact patch and vice versa. In the case of the small contact patch, the body weight will be distributed to a smaller area. The smaller patch also increases the compression of urethane in the wheels and ultimately hamper the rolling resistance and slow down the wheels.
In this context, the shape of the wheel also plays a crucial role. The round wheels tend to have less contact with pavement than the square wheels. This eventually affects the performance to a great extent.
Thus, while selecting the wheels, make sure you closely check the contact patch as well.
So, the last segment to look for is the texture of the Wheel. If it feels really hard then you can expect smoother rides. There are sticky wheels and treaded wheels in this niche.
- Smooth Wheels are suitable for all-around skating
- Sticky Wheels are more comfortable and have a better grip on the ground. These are also very quiet.
- Treaded Wheels are great for rougher terrains the built-in tread will provide great grip and keep you on a straight track.
So, this was all about the guide. I hope these tips will help you find out the best wheels for your skateboard. Now, its time to turn to some of the greatest recommendations in the niche.
I feel like that without solid recommendations, one can never do justice to its buying guide. In this section, I want to give you suggestions on the leading skateboard wheels. These products are tested for performance and safety. You don’t want to go through the trouble of finding the best skateboard wheels yourself, well, this section will help you make a clean escape. Check out the products from below and pick confidently
Top 5 The Best Skateboard Wheels Brands
There are countless brands that manufacture high-quality skateboard wheels. The brand plays an important role in making the right decision. I am going to list some of the established brands that have created goodwill in the market. These are some of the highly trusted brands:
The brand was launched in the year 1987 in San Fransisco. They have been in the market for so long because of its high-quality products.
Over time, the brand has grown and become a major name in the wheels industry. However, to this day, it is recognized for its skateboard tools and accessories.
2. Mini Logo
It hasn’t been extremely long since this brand commenced its services. It is renowned to manufacture the highly-superior product range, especially in skateboard wheels and other hardware.
Back in 2002, this brand was founded. It has managed to prosper through its keen interest in helping customers with great products. They also share an amazing relationship with the distributors.
This brand was launched in the year 1993 and it specializes in skateboard shredding. Pig is among the leading brands in the industry.
5. Powell Peralta
The Peralta family founded this brand back in 1978. Clearly, this is among the oldest brands in the industry. They have a loyal clientele and customer chain that help them thrive.
Top 8 Best Skateboard Wheels – Reviews
|1. Spitfire Bighead 51mm White W Blue||Perfect Skateboard Wheels For Beginners||5.0|
|2. Mini-Logo Skateboards C-Cut 53mm 101A||Most Stable Skateboard Wheels||4.3|
|3. Super Blank Pro||Robust Skateboard Wheels||4.4|
|4. Spitfire Hybrid Ceramic||High-Performance Skateboard Wheels||4.4|
|5. Orangatang Cruising Wheels||High-rated Skateboard and Cruising Wheels||4.7|
|6. Santa Cruz Skateboards Slime Balls Neon Green||Durable Skateboard Wheels||4.9|
|7. Orangatang Kegel Downhill||Best Cruising Skateboard Wheels||4..6|
|8. Everland Skateboard Wheels||Decent-Quality Wheels||4.6|
1. Spitfire Bighead 51mm White W Blue – Perfect Skateboard Wheels For Beginners
Spitfire is surely among the leading brands to manufacture superior-quality wheels. This model is available in a diameter of 51 mm and makes a smooth model for the beginners.
- This set includes 4 wheels in 51 mm diameter and the design is wonderful. The durometer is 99a which ensure smooth rides on the pavements, pool, ramp, etc.
- There are a handful of color choices available in this model that helps in bringing classic change to the skateboard. You can coordinate the colors as per your skateboard color.
- The wheels are available at an affordable price. You don’t have to make an unnecessary expenditure to own a fine pack of wheels for your skateboard.
- Smoother rides
- Great in value
- The contact patch is smaller so beginners might have a difficult time balancing
2. Mini-Logo Skateboards C-Cut 53mm 101A – Most Stable Skateboard Wheels
If you don’t want to risk your purchase and want something absolutely safe then consider purchasing from Mini-Logo. This brand has the goodwill of manufacturing highest-quality products. Let’s see what you get in this product:
- I will start by mentioning the diameter which is 50 – 50 mm. This one can also ensure smoother rides.
- The C-cut wheels are most suitable for the transition riders. Also, it has a high rebound which provides great traction and speed. This product is essentially beneficial for all kind of riders, except for the beginners.
- It is constructed with durable urethane material for amazing performance and longevity.
- You can enjoy a lifetime warranty from the makers as they bring 35 years of expertise in their products. You can expect some amazing performance from the wheels.
- Highly responsive material
- Great for traction
- Provides amazing grip
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The wheels are narrow and not suitable for the beginners
3. Super Blank Pro – Robust Skateboard Wheels
The wheels from Super Blank has proved its metal in the industry and among the customers. The brand is equally good as the ones that I have mentioned earlier and known for manufacture the greatest skateboard wheels.
- The diameter of these wheels is 56 mm. This is great for effortless rides. If your child is only beginning with skateboarding and you want something incredible safe then this set will be extremely suitable.
- The on-road performance of the wheels is praiseworthy. There is no distinction of the type of surface you are riding these wheels.
- It is among the most affordable set of skateboard wheels that you can find in the market. At such price, the value and performance of the wheels are simply unbelievable.
- Simple design
- Great performance
- Gives effortless riding
- Extremely affordable
- Don’t expect any kind of stunts or tricks with these wheels
4. Spitfire Hybrid Ceramic – High-Performance Skateboard Wheels
Just like the other models mentioned in this list, the Spitfire hybrid ceramic is also an intense consideration. It is available in a set of 4 wheels and you get 10 color choices to make. This model is also quite appreciable when it comes to highest-quality skateboard wheels.
- These wheels are available in a diameter of 51mm which ensure that every ride you take is as smooth as it possibly can.
- The 101a durometer can help with increased speed and adding the required hardness to the wheels. They don’t fit a certain scenario but in totality, they are great for all kind of users.
- I recommend this set for the beginners, considering the stability and balance that the wheels provide.
- Since you are suggested to ride with them on smooth surfaces, there will be less friction as compared to the treaded wheels.
- Smooth skateboarding experience
- Offer great speed
- Offer guarantee against manufacturing defects
- The powerslide is not as amazing
5. Orangatang Cruising Wheels – High-rated Skateboard and Cruising Wheels
To this day, I have come across various Orangatang products. And I am surprised with the kind of quality and technique this company uses in its products. This one is also quite amazing set and available to you in three different colors.
- These wheels are designed to give maximum speed to the rider. It also provides great grip for hard carving, downhill skateboarding, long-distance pushing, etc.
- The balance given to the wheels is incredible. With 75 mm diameter, you can take it to the roughest terrains without any worry about damage.
- These are designed with sharp lips, square in shape to give the finest grip and stability. You can expect smoother rides. Also, the urethane material gives progressive rebound.
- There are various durometer ranges available in this product. You can pick the durometer in respect to your needs.
- Highest performance
- Suitable for stunts
- Offer amazing speed
- Beginners should avoid using these wheels
6. Santa Cruz Skateboards Slime Balls Neon Green – Durable Skateboard Wheels
The first thing to catch your eye about these wheels is the striking color. These are available in an amazing shade of neon green. These wheels are only sold in a set of 4. Besides, there is no point purchasing a single piece of a wheel as it will do no good to the skateboard.
- The wheels have wonderful design. Other than that the urethane formula is used to enhance the performance of the wheels.
- The brand creates products with high-grade techniques that does not hamper the speed at all. You can expect smoother rides on all kind of surfaces.
- The durometer of 97a might seem to give you less speed but in reality, these are among the fastest wheels that you will come across.
- Delectable design
- Available in a beautiful neon color that kids love
- Incredible speed
- Perfect performance
- A little on the pricier side
7. Orangatang Kegel Downhill – Best Cruising Skateboard Wheels
So, this is another fantastic model from Orangatang that I would like to mention. These wheels are known for pretty large diameter and used by professionals for racing purpose or stunts. I won’t say these are suitable for beginners.
- The dimensions of these wheels are 88 x 56 mm. It is so strong that you can take the wheels on pretty much any kind of surface without the fear of damage.
- Urethane material provides utmost protection against slipping out of the lane.
- You can enjoy extra speed, great balance, and amazing traction by these wheels. They also slide responsive so you can experiment stunts with it too.
- The huge lips of the wheels tightly hug the ground and give you unparalleled balance.
- Matchless speed
- Great performance
- Tested for durability
- Suitable for stunts
8. Everland Skateboard Wheels – Decent-Quality Wheels
So, I would like to close my list with this fantastic model by Everland. These are specifically for the beginners and does not allow any stunts or exceeding speed. When you are starting with skateboarding, these wheels can help you at that stage.
- These are available in multiple colors to help you make choiced selection.
- These are sold in a pack of 4. You cannot buy a single wheel.
- The 51mm diameter is great to provide effortless rides. These are also strong enough to help you ride on difficult terrains.
- The high-quality polyurethane material gives the best grip on the ground and does not let you go out of balance.
- Available in various colors
- Suitable for all kind of terrains
- Not recommended for professionals
Skateboard Wheels FAQs
Now, in this section, I will try to sort some of the concerns that buyers usually have:
1. What kind of wheels are considered to be best for street skateboarding?
The wheels ideal for street skateboarding are the ones that are soft and comes in durometer of around 70a – 90a. Such wheels give a great performance on concrete cracks and rugged roads.
The diameter can vary from 54 mm and up. With these features, you can find the best wheels for street skateboarding.
2. What does 78a mean on a skateboard?
In this case, 78 refers to the hardness measurement. 78 is actually a soft wheel. This one would give great grip and the slipping will be minimized. The alphabet “A” is for scaling. This is the alphabet used to refer to scaling.
As I end my best skateboard wheels review, I would say that all the models that I have mentioned above are worth your consideration. These wheels have proved to be the finest among their competitors.
I personally recommend Spitfire products without any odds. Forgive me for being bias but I have a personal affection for this brand as they have always supplied highest-grade wheels.
I had these for my kid’s skateboards and to this day, I never had to regret making the purchase. However, you can pick any of the recommendations. They all are pretty great.