If we go 10 years back, the study was a lot less competitive and complex as it is now. Soon after you enroll your child in a school, he/she opens up to new technology every day and demand you for getting them the for buying them all the technology goods that they require to push their academic grades. Moreover, the toys that they use these days are extremely informative and helpful in building them academically and mental strength.
If your child possesses artistic qualities and also love technology then buying the best 3d pen for kids would be the best investment that you will make. These pens have become extremely popular among kids. Also, these little devices are a great way to sit with your kids and enjoy drawing with a 3D pen.
Since you are planning to buy one for your family, let me tell you that not all the pens are suitable for kids. These devices heat the plastic to work. Since heat and plastic are concerned, the combination can be dangerous for the kids.
However, there are brands available on the market that specializes in creating 3D pens keeping kids in mind. Your little one will be safe while using these handy little devices. The buyers also might want to know about various details about these pens so that they don’t end up wasting their money on a useless model.
In this guide, I am going to recommend some of the brilliant tips to help you find the best 3D pen for kids and also help you with the leading models in the industry.
How To Choose The Best 3D Pen for Kids
According to the professionals, there are some mandatory features that a 3D pen should have. This section of my guide will immensely help the buyers about these features. Also, while preparing this section, I have referred to many significant websites and personal researched data to help you with the most resourceful tips.
So, guys, you can spend up to $300 on a 3D pen but before that, it is essential to note all its features and realize whether or not you need all those features.
When buying the best 3D pen for kids, you are extra conscious about the cost. Kids sometimes get bored with these tools too soon and if you have made such a huge investment, it seems like a colossal mistake.
The expensive models usually have more-powerful motors which give better precision and extrusion features or these pens have the capability to print on unexpected materials. The next option available on the market is a pen that is available under $25. Such pens are poor in quality and do not possess any interesting quality. Therefore, most people prefer purchasing a pen for their kids that ranges between $50 – $100.
Below, I will tell you some of the important features that such pens must have:
You should know that your child will be holding this pen for a significant time. 3D printing requires a lot of time. While they can get accustomed to holding the pen any shape, the one with the ergonomic body is the most comfortable to have in hand. Such pens are comfortable in holding from the start. Also, since the plastic of the pen starts to help once when the heat is generated, it is important to look for high-quality plastic material or other mechanisms that can control the heat. The melting plastic releases a lot of toxins which can be dangerous for kids as well as people around.
A 3D pen that comes with customizable settings is the best. Pens should always give a choice of extrusion speeds so that you can easily switch it between slower detail work and fast infill work. Also, one should invest in a model that gives multiple temperature settings. This way, you will be able to work with a wide range of filament types.
3. Steady & Continuous Plastic Extrusion
It is important for the pen to give you the best control and steady plastic extrusion at a comfortable speed. A model that does not provide extrusion at a decent speed is not considered as a reliable model. Yes, about the reliability, also ensure that the pen is not prone to filaments and clogs so that it could break easily. When such an expensive thing breaks, it really disappoints the buyer.
One more thing, while longer drawings, it is important that the extrusion is continuous. Make sure that the pen you are buying has this feature. It will be extremely helpful in longer projects. If there is no such automatic function then you will have to hold down the button for continuous extrusion which can be exhausting.
4. Easy Loading
Another important factor to consider is about the loading of the pen. Whether it is the fresh string of plastic that you want to load or simply swap the existing one for change in color, you need a model that offers convenient loading. Along with the loading process, the unloading should also be equally effortless. Therefore, while purchasing the best product, be sure of this feature.
5. Swappable Tips
All 3D projects are not the same. Some of the parts require different thickness so the best model is the one that comes with swappable tips. With many products, different tips are usually available that can be swapped when required. Even if you are not getting them along with the product, a pen should give you the choice of changing the tips that you might have purchased separately.
6. Portability & Safe
Some pens come with a cord while the others are cordless. You can pick either of the options as they both are equally dependable. However, if you are buying a pen with a cord then make sure while traveling with it, you get an electricity port to be able to use the pen. Also, the length of the cord should not be too small or too large. An ideal length is 6-feet so that you don’t necessarily have to carry an extension cord along with.
About the safety, as mentioned earlier, these pens tend to release toxic fumes when plastic is heated. These fumes are the biggest hurdle in purchasing these gears because parents never want to put their child’s health in jeopardy. You might have to purchase other special equipment to wear so that your child doesn’t inhale the fumes.
Lastly, I would like to say that 3D pens are a lot of fun. You just need to make sure that the customer service is great and that the pen is compatible with filaments from different brands. Such versatility makes a pen highly safe to buy.
How Does A Best 3D Pen for Kids Work?
Generally, the working process of a 3D pen is a little complex. The professional process is the complex one which usually needs a 3D modeling program, a CAD file, and a 3D scanner. Sliced files are used to produce the objects one layer at a time.
A 3D pen is a less complex and a spontaneous version that kids find really interesting. The pen is made by using the mechanism of 3D printing filaments.
The operation of a 3D pen is more or less through the same principle of the glue gun. You need to add a plastic filament inside the pen and heat is given through the technology inside the device. The plastic material melts and transforms in the form of an ink. You can find filaments available in various colors to make the art more attractive.
The melted plastic hardens in some time, giving more dimension to the art. This also helps in adding a realistic factor to the art as well. Since kids are mostly new to the concept of 3D printing, they can start by writing on any surface they want, just like a standard pen. Once the object is created, you can lift it and place your creations anywhere you want to.
Top 8 Best 3D Pen For Kids – Reviews
It’s showtime. In this section, I am going to share some of the safest and greatest models on the market. If you don’t want to get into the hassle of making selection purely based on your research then here is some help that I can offer. I highly encourage all the readers to read the reviews in detail and select based on their knowledge.
|1. MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen with OLED Display||Most Amazing 3D Pen for Kids||4.0|
|2. Parner 3D Printing Pen||Professional-quality 3D Pen||4.8|
|3. Tecboss 3D Pen||Most Innovative 3-D Pen||4.5|
|4. 3Doodler Start 3D Pen for Kids||Doodling Speed for Easy Control||3.5|
|5. SL-300 Professional 3D Printing Pen with OLED Display||Crafting Modeling Art for Children Gift||4.0|
|6. AtmosFlare 3D Pen Set||Easy to clean||3.0|
|7. MYNT3D Junior 3D Pen for Kids||Cutest 3D Pen for Little Designers||3.0|
|8. 3Doodler Create 3D Printing Pen Set, Sapphire Blue||BEST SELLING 3D PEN||4.5|
The MYNT3D is a popular brand in kid’s toys. This model has got excellent making. It is a fantastic way to push your child towards 3D printing and drawing, even if they have never done it before. It is an amazing model to built the imagination and interesting for 3D printing in your child.
- This is a wired 3D pen with excellent qualities and output generation.
- It has got an adjustable feed that allows the user to regulate the speed and flow of the material coming out from the pen and offer major control to the user.
- For fine-tuning, the temperature can be adjusted in increments of 1 degree from 130 to 240 C.
- Furthermore, there is an OLED display that gives you an insight into the temperature of the material so that you can create a wide variety of effects.
- This model comes with 3 colors of BAS plastic filaments, an A/C adapter, and a grip-friendly slim pen that you will find extremely comfortable to hold.
This is a perfect model for startups. There are massive controls given to the pen that you will seriously admire. Also, the 1-year warranty of this model pretty much covers all the potential risks and concerns that you might have from the pen.
- Available at a suitable price
- Gives great controls to the user
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- 3-filaments are complementary with this model
- The gripping of the pen will need some time and practice
There is a mammoth of great 3D pens available for kids on the market. Parner 3D pen is also a highly considerable option that you can gift to a kid or an adult. It has professional grade qualities to keep your kids excited about 3D printing.
- Parner comes with a upgraded function to load filament with a single push of a button. It automatically uploads the filament and makes it easy for the kids to use different colors in their craft. Shut-off automatically when not being used for a couple of minutes to save the battery.
- There are three temperature adjusting settings and speed modes. According to the proficiency you need in the painting, you can select the appropriate modes. You can see the speed visible on the advanced LCD screen on the top of the pen.
- This model is compatible with two types of filaments PLA and ABS. Also, you get 12 different colors of PLA filament refills with 10 feet of each color. If you incorporate filament from another brand then it might show incompatibility.
- This is a wireless pen that can be charged through a mobile power bank as you get the USB port along. Also, it can be charged from a computer and a laptop.
This is a great pen that you kids are sure to love. It gives you an excuse to spend quality time at home with your kids. Also, your purchase is safeguarded through 30 days 100% money back guarantee. This way, if anything goes wrong with the pen, you can get it exchanged from the manufacturer.
- Highly functional pen for kids and adults
- Comes with a USB port to help you charge through power bank, computer, or a laptop
- Great quality of the product
- Comes with 30 days money back guarantee
- Professional grade quality might be a little overwhelming for kids
3D printing has come up as a result of innovation in the world. Your kids will find my next recommendation highly exciting. The Tecboss 3D pen is a unique and fantastic creation by the brand. This model has got all the necessary and significant features for the kids that are partially into 3D printing and not just beginning. The beginners will, however, find it a little complex to use.
- Unlike the previous model recommended, this one can support two kinds of filaments i.e. PLA (160 – 180 degrees C) and ABS (180 – 210 degrees C) with a common filament diameter of 1.75±0.02 mm. This way, you have the freedom to choose the material of your choice.
- Astoundingly, this pen comes with 8-level speed controls which is great for versatile creativity. This one is not just for the kids but an amazing gift option for the creative adults as well.
- To keep it skin-friendly for the kids, this model has patented ceramic nozzle and adjustable temperature design. Even when the plastic is heated, this model creates lesser fumes and is safe for the kids to use. It also provides stable extruding.
- The OLED display tells about the temperature settings and the type of material being used for the making. This way you can enjoy better control over the pen.
The ergonomic body of this model allows children to hold it easily. The pen is created with splendid quality material and is a great gift for kids that have already used some other 3D pen at some point in time. The two finger protectors provide major protection to the thumb and index finger so that your kids don’t get hurt while using the pen.
- Compatible with 2 kinds of filaments
- Comes with a thumb protector
- 8-level speed settings
- Quite economical in price
- Not suitable for the beginners
- It might jam occasionally
The3Doodler pen is created keeping in mind the kids that are just beginning with 3D printing. This is a simple pen with the least complex features. To give selection to the children, this model is available in 3 different body colors. You can find Blue, White, and Black color in this pen.
- It is a user-friendly pen with easy operation that allows you to start right away with the creative project. Allow the 3D pen to heat and you can turn it on to start designing instantly. However, make sure to let the heat indicator go green and then start loading the filament to its tip. This model also allows you to draw in the air. However, that requires a lot of practice.
- This model is compatible with PCL filament which is considered to be a better option because it offers better stability. Also, it has a fine impact on strength and durability. One more thing, PCL is a low-temperature material which is safe for the kids to use.
The manufacturers are so sure of their product that they give you a 100% lifetime warranty of this model. This one has robust construction and quite a productive usage. Kids love to play with the pen because there are no unrequired features in it to confuse the little ones. You can simply load the filament and start designing.
- The construction of the pen is robust
- Very straightforward working
- 100% Lifetime Warranty
- PCL filament used in this pen which is safe for kids
- Expensive than the competitive models with identical features
This is undeniably the premium quality pen in this list. It is not necessarily for the kids. Even the adults can also use it in their profession as well. However, kids that are practiced with the 3D drawing will find this model extremely benefiting. Children can also make fantastic science projects with this brilliant pen.
- Unlike many other pens, this one has got slim ergonomic body that helps in the convenient holding of the pen.
- This model works on PLA plastic filament which is less harmful than all the other varieties available on the market. This way, this model is extremely safe for the kids.
- The slow of material can be controlled and adjusted through the settings that you can make.
- In order to adjust the PLA variety of the pen, you can control the temperature in the increments of 1-degree.
- The OLED display has an extra bright light to help you conveniently monitor the settings that are being used by the pen at the current time.
This is a brilliant pen that your kids will find really amazing to play with. While the cost is a little higher than its counterparts, its quality is also quite higher than the competitive models. The package includes a slim pen, 2 x colors of PLA plastic filament, cable and AC adapter.
- The exclusive quality of the pen
- Ergonomic pen for comfortable holding
- Great control over the settings of the pen
- Comes with 2 colors of PLA plastic filament
- A little overpriced
AtmosFlare is also a great brand that has given some of the most dependable products to the users. This model is another one of its masterpieces that comes with a lot of accessories and gifts. Firstly, it brings along 12 colors PLA filaments so that kids can add colors to their creativity. It is an easy-to-operate pen that will interest your kids a lot.
- The 3D pen is environment-friendly as it can be used with two types of filaments i.e. PLA and ABS. with this pen, the manufacturers give you 1.75 mm PLA filament pack in 12 different colors. Each filament is 10 feet long. You are advised to use PLA filaments as they are more eco-friendly than the ABS filament.
- There are various adjustable settings of temperature and speed. You can regulate the speed for optimal performance of the pen.
- There is an OLED display from where you can monitor the settings of the pen such as flow speed, the temperature of the material, and other settings. You can increase the temperature by an increment of 1.
This is a wonderful pen that is filled with great features and priced right. The pen is quite comfortable to hold due to the ergonomic body. The best thing is that it comes with 12 colors of PLA filaments due to which you don’t have to purchase filament separately for a long time. It also has a fingerstall, removal tool, instruction manual, 3D drawing stencil, AC/DC power adapter, and 1-year of warranty.
- The pen is constructed with fine material
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Comes with 12 different colors of PLA filament
- Eco-friendly material
- Some users found it jamming in between
This is a typical pen for kids because it is crafted in the cutest shape. It is suitable for kids from 4 – 6 years in age. Kids will really appreciate the styling of the pen and will find themselves constantly attracted towards it. This model can also be an ideal birthday or Christmas gift for your little one.
- The power cuts off if the pen remains unused for 10 minutes constantly. It goes into sleep mode to help you save power and battery.
- The OLED display is quite efficient and shows the temperature and speed setting currently in use. So, when you can monitor the adjustments, you can make them according to the changing requirement of the craft.
- You can start to use the pen with a single push of a button. The plastic cools of rapidly without wasting any time.
- This model is compatible with ABS and PLA filaments. Since PLA material is eco-friendly, you will be able to give your child a fine pen that does not pose any threat to the little fingers or while breathing.
This is a delectable model to help your kids to bring their creativity to life. The kit comprises of an ergonomic pen, a power adapter, 1 x USP cable, 2 x PLA Filament, 20 x different pattern stencils, and a pen holder. This one is also available at a highly considerable price.
- Fine structure of the pen, ergonomic in nature
- Comes with 20 differently patterned stencils
- Available at a great price
- Inclusive of all the greatest features
- The button is not as responsive
So, the last model that I would like to mention is this one from Levis which is a suitably priced model and comes with various accessories. You will be thrilled with the quality of this model as it has some of the most spectacular features.
- The filament compatible with this model is ABS material and is supplied by Premium PLA filament refills for future use. PLA is one of the safest material to use in a 3D pen as it does not cause toxic fumes.
- There are countless upgraded features of this pen with intelligent temperature control, rapid heat dissipation technology, and 2 x finger protectors.
- You can expect smooth performance from this pen. The ceramic nozzle of the pen can endure high temperature. It keeps clogging completely away. The superior-quality motor and its stable rotation speed, the output of filament is very smooth.
- There are 3 adjustment settings for the speed which displays on the LCD screen on the pen. You can easily control the working of the pen without any hassle.
- The working process for this model is very simple. You just have to plug in, heat the pen and extrude. This pen can keep every member of the family occupied.
There are immense pros to this model that you will admire. It comes with 12 color filaments made of PLA, a pen holder, a power adapter, a USB cable, and a stencil. To safeguard your purchase, the manufacturers are giving 30 days money back guarantee and a 12-month warranty on the purchase. If anything goes wrong with the product the company will either exchange it or repair the pen.
- High-quality of the pen
- Comes with multiple accessories
- Compatible with PLA and ABS filaments
- Eco-friendly pen for your kids
I would like to conclude my 3D pen for kids review by saying that these pens are assured for high-quality, promising performance, and great output. You can rest assured that you are bringing home the finest 3D pens for your child.