If you have a child at home who has a heart for 3D printing then the best 3D printer for kids is worth an investment. Kids can only get indulged in unique activities if you boost them and push them towards their interests.
A 3D printer is a great way for a child to create something unique and bring it to reality. Although these machines work on the same mechanism as that of a professional machine, there are basic features that kids can use.
These machines are not just useful for the kids but they also make scope for adults to learn a new kind of technology. Suppose if you have two kids with the younger one urging for a 3D printer, maybe by bringing the machine home, you can develop some interest in the elder one as well.
It is also a perfect way to spend time together with your family, all appreciating each other’s creativity. Just one thing, it is important that you kid already have an interest in 3D printing. You can maybe start with a 3D pen and if he or she shows enthusiasm in it then you can invest in the printer. These machines are a bit noisy and also produce fumes. If your child isn’t interested already then prefer buying something else.
Why Should I Buy The Best 3D Printer for Kids? What is the Need?
There was a time when 3D printing was attaining its footing and was a remote subject. But these days, it has become immensely popular. At a very early stage in the schools, kids are introduced to the subject of 3D printing. The 3D industry has become epidemic and the entire technology industry is being benefitted through it.
Whether it is the smartphone industry or the medical one, each niche is using 3D technology to fortify their results.
In here, I am going to discuss two of the most common benefits of investing in a 3d printer, especially if you are buying it for kids:
1. Make them Creative
3D printing is extreme fun. Kids will always find the immediacy to finish the project. It will be very stimulating for them. The process of 3D printing involves a design cycle: Invent>Design?Produce>Test>Improve.
For the kids that are interested in science will find these projects really exciting. Also, they get hands-on experience in creating newer things that challenge their creativity and make them more adept.
Kids first have the design in their mind and a 3D printer gives them a way to manufacture it in their own way. They can hold the object and see how they can improvise with their technique. It is a perfect way to show kids how much fun engineering can be.
2. Future of Manufacturing
If you think that you can leave your child’s academic growth solely on school then this can be your biggest mistake. Parents are equally obligated to teach their kids about the latest technology as much as a school. There is no harm in keeping your child one step ahead and aware of all the newest technology that can benefit their future.
As I said before, schools do tell them about the new concepts but they don’t enhance the practice. So, it all comes down to you how you will support the kids in exposing them to 3D printing techniques.
Manufacturing of all kinds is now done through 3D printing. The models are created through 3D printing, tested and then brought into the market. Therefore, make sure that your child is not lacking behind in understanding and recognizing all the wonderful things that they can do with a 3D printer.
How To Buy The Best 3D Printer For Kids?
It is not unusual to feel overwhelmed while searching for the best 3D printer for kids. There are companies that are manufacturing the highest-quality products that are created while keeping kids in mind. In this buying guide, I am going to discuss some of the important points for you to mind while purchasing a printer.
1. Type of Printer
Technically, there are two prime types in a 3D printer such as Fused Filament Fabrication aka FFF, and Stereo Lithography aka SLA. The FFF printers are the ones that also cover the sub-categories of Fused Filament Manufacturing and Fused Deposition Modeling. It works by melting the plastic filament in a moving printhead and create the model.
The working of SLA is slightly different. It uses UV laser to solidify resin in which the whole task revolves around the laser for the creation of the model.
FFF printers are simple in usage and mostly cheaper. For kids, FFF printers are usually recommended. As far as SLA printers are concerned, they are expensive, mostly ranging from $700 and above. Since your child is only exploring the idea of 3D printing, you wouldn’t want to spend this much in a kid’s printer.
2. Materials used in Printing
It doesn’t matter which type of printer you decide to use, it’s the material that largely affects the printing. FFF printers use filament material which is available in a large variety such as biodegradable material PLA, ABS (mostly plastic), Nylon, TPE (mostly rubber-like), HDPE (light yet rigid polystyrene). The PLA and ABS filaments are mostly available in massive colors. The filaments are available in two prime sizes: 1.75 mm and 3 mm.
Talking about the SLA printers, there are fewer options of filaments that are compatible with these printers. These can use a resin material which is flexible and more rubber-like. HDPE is also compatible with SLA printers.
There is an important aspect related to the material of filament. You need to check with the machine and manufacturer’s instructions. Some printers are compatible with a certain kind of materials only, manufactured from a specific brand, mostly the same company. If a printer is created to support third-party filament then that machine will be more productive than the alternative.
3. Print Volume
You should know that every printer has a certain level of capacity for producing printed designs. The capacity is defined by the size of the print bed and the distance to which printer can move the printhead. It is measured in cubic inches, however, you should also pay attention to each dimension that refers to the maximum size print that a 3D printer can create.
4. Print Speed & Quality
3D printing takes a lot of time to generate results. Even today, there hasn’t been any inventions that can speed up the process even a little. A 3 – 4 inches model can easily take up to 12 hours to print. However, it depends on the kind of design that you have selected.
Since 3D printing is done in layers, it takes a printer immense time to print the entire design. If the layers are thick then printing is done faster than the thinner layers. However, a thick layered product is mostly poor in quality because all the layers are clearly visible. There is always a trade-off between the quality created by the printer and the speed. Irrespective of the speed of the printer, one should always focus more on the quality.
Top 8 Best 3D Printers For Kids 2020 Reviewed
It’s time for me to give you the recommendations on the leading models available on the market. In this section, this is what we are going to do. We will discuss the top-notch models so that you can fearlessly pick any of your choices and needs.
|1. Monoprice 133820 Voxel 3D Printer||One of a Kind 3D Printer||4.0|
|2. QIDI Tech 3D Printer||Editor Choice 3D Printer for Kids||4.8|
|3. FlashForge Finder 3D Printer||Economically-priced 3D Printer||4.1|
|4. JGMAKER Magic 3D Printer DIY Kit||Heavy-weight 3D Printer for Kids||4.2|
|5. ELEGOO Mars UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer||Uniquely-styled 3D Printer for Kids||4.6|
|6. IUSE Desktop 3D Printer||A Perfect Printer with Simple Features||3.5|
|7. QIDI X-Smart Intelligent Printer||Suitable for Precision Printing||4.7|
|8. Monoprice 150 3D Printer||Ultra-quiet 3D Printer for Kids||4.1|
1. Monoprice 133820 Voxel 3D Printer – One of a Kind 3D Printer
While purchasing a 3D printer for kids, parents have to be vigilant of many details. Monoprice is an amazing company that specializes in creating the best printers for kids. This model is no exception. It has been accepted widely by the buyers and has been appreciated as well.
- First of all, this model is available in three colors – Black, Black-Grey, and White to give great choices to the buyers.
- Fortunately, this one has got a nozzle that you can change quickly. This way, the user doesn’t have to struggle at all while changing the nozzle. It also does not require any extra tools for the change.
- If you are worried about the removal of the model then don’t be. The removable and flexible built plate inside the machine makes taking out the model like a breeze. If the project gets ruined in the middle then make a convenient effort to replace it and start again. You can expect the plate to heat for up to 60 degrees.
- Interestingly, this model has also got the feature of auto-leveling. This way, you can conveniently set distance among the bed and nozzle through the touch screen.
- Loading of the filament is also quite convenient with this machine. You can do it through auto feeding that works in coordination with a filament sensor. All you need to do is to insert the filament in the loading port and tap on “load filament” option from the touchscreen on the machine. The sensor also recognizes when the filament is low and pauses the project while notifying you on the same.
- Auto-leveling feature for taller models
- Touchscreen that enables various functions
- Suitable priced model in the list
- Great for kids as well as adults
- The instructions are not clearly mentioned in the manual
2. QIDI Tech 3D Printer – Editor Choice 3D Printer for Kids
Well, this model from QIDI is among the finest 3D printers that I have come across. This model is made to ensure that not just kids but even the adults will find them very resourceful. This printer has great features.
- This product does not cause a lot of noise while printing. Also, it comes with amazing features like air purification technology and wifi connection.
- It is compatible with 1.75 mm filament of any brand. The materials that you can use with this model are nylon, carbon, fiber, PC, etc.
- The printer kit comes with two different types of the extruder assembly. You can select extruder A which is pre-installed on the printer. In this case, the maximum temperature is 250 C and it is compatible with PLA, ABS, and TPU. You have to install extruder B if there is a requirement. It is compatible with 300 C maximum temperature and can print nylon, fiber, carbon, and PC.
- With this model, you get two different ways of placing the filament. Ventilative or enclosed printing is done at a constant temperature is used while printing different types of filament. Then there is double Z-axis driver that ensures stable and precise printing quality while printing large models. This is a higher configuration 3D printer.
- The UI interface of this model is quite easy and convenient to operate. This is a redesigned version, compatible with all kinds of QIDI printers.
- Many high-end features of a professional grade printer
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Compatible with different kinds of materials
- Highly appreciable customer service offered by the brand
- Very expensive for kid’s usage
3. FlashForge Finder 3D Printer – Economically-priced 3D Printer
The next model that I am going to mention in the list is this wonderful product from FlashForge. So, this model is quite affordable and equipped with all the essential features that your child will require in a 3d printer.
- First of all, it is quite compact in size and will fit any tabletop. The color and design of the model are extremely intriguing. It is red in color with black interior. The colors are quite happening and liked by people of all ages.
- To help the printed objects to be removed efficiently and conveniently, this model has got a slide-in plate. This way, you don’t have to worry about ruining your projects while placing it inside or taking it out.
- With 3.5 inches full-color touchscreen, you get the access to all the functions of a 3D printer. All the functions in use are visible on the screen. There are intuitive icons that make the operations easy.
- The making of this model is done with sturdy plastic alloy material. It will help in constructing stable prints every time.
- This model has got safe and non-heated build plate. Other features that this product is comprised of are wifi, USB, flash drive, and cloud connectivity. The printing material used in this machine is PLA which is safe for the children.
- Comes with multiple amazing features
- The price is highly suitable
- Model is constructed with a sturdy material
- All the buttons are available in a touchscreen format
- There are no fancy features in this product, it is a basic model
4. JGMAKER Magic 3D Printer DIY Kit – Heavy-weight 3D Printer for Kids
JGMAKER magic 3D printer is a perfect DIY machine that supports sufficient functions that a child will require on a basic level. This is another essential model that is available at a suitable price, especially if compared with their counterparts.
- For starters, it is an open printer without any outer cover. The body is metal made that is why it is one of the heaviest 3d printers that you will find on the market. It is best to set it up on a tabletop and not disturb frequently.
- Since there is no outer cover, your kids will be able to see how 3D printing is done and the objects are created in this printer. It has a print size of 220 x 220 x 250 mm. What makes this machine safe and durable is the industrial grade silicone wire and the power supply built inside the base.
- The printer will beep and tell you when the filament is over or about to be over. This will, you can ensure undisturbed workflow because you can supply the filament as soon as the printer tells about it being finished.
- There is a function of SD car hot plugin which means if accidentally the SD card gets removed from the printer in the middle of the process, the printing will pause and you can resume it after putting the card back in.
- Through the metal base and side filament holder, you don’t have to disturb the process of printing and can change the filament while printing is still on.
- This is not a pre-assembled machine which means that you will have to assemble it yourself. It is not a complex process and with 8 mostly-assembled modules, you can easily assemble this model in less than 2 hours.
- Extremely sturdy material
- Assembling can be done in less than 2 hours
- Great customer service
- Suitable for kids as well as adults
- Extremely heavy in weight
5. ELEGOO Mars UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer – Uniquely-styled 3D Printer for Kids
So, this model from ELEGOO is a smart printer and is available in two color options. The design of this model is quite unique and stunning. It has a transparent cover on the top of the printer base that allows you to see the work in progress. Let’s get to the features now:
- The machine has got a unique steel ball design. You just need the Z-axis to return to zero and lock the leveling screw to start with the printing process.
- There is a 3.5-inch large touchscreen that allows you to operate the functions of the machine and also see the design from the SD card that you want to print. It also has a real-time display printing process.
- This model is equipped with the latest version of ChiTu Box slicing software which provides an extraordinary user experience. It takes not more than 1 minute to slice 30Mb .stl file whereas the counterparts will take not less than 10 minutes. It also allows the user to hollow out the model which will save the filament to a great extent. This is especially in the case of the photocuring process.
- Then there is an integrated computer board for printing the objects directly from USB. This means that this model can work online and that you don’t necessarily have to connect it to the computer for printing.
- Works with photopolymer resins
- Superb performance in precision printing
- Setup is done in 5 minutes
- Does not necessarily have to be online to use this printer
- It is a little complex in operation
6. IUSE Desktop 3D Printer – A Perfect Printer with Simple Features
So, this one is a great printer with the most simplistic features that your children will find exciting. Also, this is among the most lowly-priced machines that you can find on the market. If your kids are still developing an interest for a 3D printer then this is the machine that you should consider purchasing.
- First of all, this is an online printer which works either through computer instructions or SD card. The SD card that you get along with the printer contains hundreds of designs that you can readily print in the machine. At the same time, by connecting it with your desktop or laptop, you can send instructions for the design that you want to print.
- Unlike many other printers, this one has got a compact size. Also, it is pretty lightweight for convenient carrying. You also get the freedom to personalize models such as kid’s toys, model designs and much more.
- The maximum printing size of this model is 110 x 110 x 120 mm and the axis position accuracy is 0.1 mm. You can expect fine details of the objects printed in this machine.
- This model is only compatible with PLA filaments which do not release any toxic gases. Therefore, you can rest ensured that your kids are working in a safe environment. Also, the printer has FCC CE ROHS certification to added security.
- 30-days return policy with this model
- Quite affordable and dependable
- Very lightweight and portable
- Great for precision printing
- No fancy feature with this model
7. QIDI X-Smart Intelligent Printer – Suitable for Precision Printing
Here is another model from QIDI but this one is extremely cheaper than the other one mentioned above. Well, this is a basic model that comprises of all the standard features for you to use. This model is ideally made for kids that are stepping towards 3D printing.
- This product comprises of all the smart features such as Wifi connection. This means that you can search for an object online using the wifi and give instructions to print it. All this can be done through the touchscreen buttons that ensure easier and smart operations.
- This is a practical and stable model with a metal base that provides more strength to the printer. It is compatible with PLA, ABS, TPU and much more.
- This is a quiet printer with a transparent window from where you can check the project in progress. It is a dust-proof model and suitable for the kids that are curious about 3D printing or needs a printer for DIY projects.
- Furthermore, the kit consists of a single extruder with an extra cooling fan which is constructed with aviation aluminum and CNC machining aluminum alloy. This way, printer ensure quality printing which is more stable and flexible.
- Aluminum alloy construction for more stability
- Comes with smart features
- Suitable for DIY projects of children
- Printing is flexible and more stable
- Expensive for a standard model
8. Monoprice 150 3D Printer – Ultra-quiet 3D Printer for Kids
The last model that I would like to mention in my list is this one from Monoprice. Now, the first thing that I should tell is that this can be considered as a mini model because it is a small version and can only make smaller objects.
- The setting up of the print bed is super easy as you simply have to follow the instructions and use the touch screen interface for the process.
- This is a fully enclosed model which ensure a completely controlled environment for the printer, free from dust debris, air, and moisture. There is a door sensor that immediately stops if the door is open while printing. This prevents temperature fluctuation and sabotaging the object.
- There is a built-in wifi radio that allows you to conveniently copy the files to the internal memory. You can use these files for printing later.
- The USP of this machine is that unlike other competitive models, this one is pretty quiet in its operations. Kids can use it at any hour of the day without disturbing anyone around the house.
- Convenient in usage
- Safe for the environment
- Quiet in operations
- 30-days money back guarantee
- The size is too small, not useful for larger objects
To say the least, these machines that I have selected for my review are quite amazing. They possess all the significant features that you will need in the best 3d printer for kids.
To nail it down to the best option, my recommendation is FlashForge Finder 3D Printer. It is suitably priced and consists of all the major functions that you need.
All the other models are equally promising. You can pick any model of your choice. Try these models and give your kids something that they desire.