If you’re a motorcycle racing enthusiast, you surely might have noticed the bikers sporting a small camera atop their helmets. Sometimes the cameras are fitted either on the right or left side of the helmet. Nevertheless, putting on best motorcycle helmet cameras has nowadays become mandatory for bikers participating in motocross, drag racing, or track racing events.
A motorcycle helmet camera can capture breathtaking footage of a motorcyclist’s daredevil and death-defying rides. Most importantly, a helmet camera goes a long way in ensuring the safety of the motorcyclist. When a professional biker is involved in a mishap, often, it is the motorcyclist who is held responsible for the accident.
How to Choose the Best Motorcycle Helmet Cameras
While shopping for the best motorcycle helmet camera, you’ll come across a variety of models, each claiming to be the best of the lot. Consequently, there is a high possibility that you might get puzzled and baffled while looking for a quality motorbike helmet camera. However, the task of selecting an appropriate model becomes more comfortable if you know what you’re looking for.
It does not need to be emphasized that a motorcycle helmet camera needs to be extremely robust and resilient. Only a high-quality and hard-wearing helmet will enable you to see everything correctly in the same way as the rider is viewing and experiencing. A durable helmet camera is indispensable for motorcyclists who regularly participate in professional meets that are physically demanding like motocross and off-road biking.
The motorcyclist should choose a helmet camera that can be installed on a steady and robust base. At the same time, the camera should be weatherproof, waterproof, dustproof, scratchproof, vibration, shock, and abrasion-resistant. The camera should come equipped with a sturdy casing that will shield the sensitive components from unavoidable shudders and knocks as well as from rain.
Performance and image clarity
Of course, the main reason behind opting for a helmet camera is that the device can capture crystal images and eye-catching videos. So, the biker does not have any option other than settling for a premium quality camera. The camera should be hard-wearing enough to continue clicking pictures and capturing footages of excellent quality while braving vibrations and shudders.
The motorcyclist should ensure that the camera has an ultra HD resolution for recording premium quality footages. The best motorcycle helmet cameras available in the market furnish 12MP resolution for images and representations and 4k ultra HD resolution for footages. Contrary to what you think, such a helmet camera does not have to be very expensive.
You’ll find numerous good quality helmet camera models with a competitive and modest price tag.
A helmet camera will be able to perform at its peak only if the equipment gets consistent support from the batteries. Almost all good quality helmet cameras come with preinstalled lithium-ion batteries that are rechargeable repeatedly and powerful enough to enable continuous recording.
WI-Fi-enabled helmet cameras enable bikers to control them remotely via a smartphone. On the other hand, a helmet camera reinforced with Wi-Fi capability allows motorcyclists to access everything the camera captures and records. The bikers can download the image and footage files on their smartphones for viewing them at their convenience and also organize them.
Motorcycle helmet cameras have to have functional storage capacity, their small size notwithstanding. Such cameras have metal-oxide semiconductors that have intuitive image sensors that sync with miniature Li-ion batteries Charge-coupled helmet camera models have better image sensors. However, they tend to be more significant.
Always choose a camera that includes an SD or SDHC card or has slots for inserting these memory cards. An SD/SDHC card has storage that varies from 4GB to 32GB. Choosing an SDHC card is better as this type of memory card has more storage space.
Weight and size
A helmet camera needs to be small in format despite carrying hi-tech components. The camera that is hefty or heavy could pose a risk for the rider, endangering his life. A lightweight and portable camera enables the motorcyclist to maintain his posture while riding at high speeds.
The bike rider will not be able to monitor the helmet camera manually while biking. Hence, it is imperative to buy a helmet camera that can be supervised remotely either by voice commands, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi.
Modern-day helmet cameras come with an inbuilt screen for playing back videos right away. The majority of helmet camera models feature a two-inch screen, which is the standardized screen size.
The topnotch helmet cameras have built-in microphones that enable the biker to take calls while motorcycling or riding.
Top 10 Best Motorcycle Helmet Cameras in 2020 Reviews
The Campark ACT74 4K UHD waterproof action camera is one of the most performance-driven helmet cameras and yet supremely affordable. The super 4K action camera clicks 16M photos and records footage in 4K resolution at 30 frames per second (fps). You can make the camera work to your advantage through the Wi-Fi compatible remote control.
The camera comes packaged in a sturdy case that keeps the gadget thoroughly waterproof up to a depth of 30m in water. The ACT74 action sports camera by Campark features a 170° adaptable lens and a 2-inch HD screen for registering a variety of visual experiences.
- Waterproof design protects the camera from the water up to a depth of 100ft
- Ultra hi-definition video recording
- Capture images in time-lapse, slow motion, and loop recording mode
- Companionable with a smartphone via Wi-Fi
- Compatible with HDMI output
- Includes mounting hardware and a host of accessories like the waterproof case, USB cable, Adapter, and base mount
- Capture all your adventures and outings in various modes with this super 4K action camera
- 170° action camera ensures that you have access to your most treasured moments without missing any detail
- Waterproof camera apt for snorkeling, skiing, gliding, surfing, golfing, motorcycling
- Preinstalled Wi-Fi capability
- Images clicked by the camera are not as striking as the footages
- Audio quality is not as good as the manufacturer claims
The AKASO Brave 4 4K 20MP Wi-Fi UHD action camera is perfect for capturing and recording 2K 30fps and 4K 24fps videos. On the other hand, this action camera is capable of framing photos and images in 20MP resolution. The built-in image stabilization capability lets you switch on the gyroscope when recording footages for ensuring the recordings are smooth, lifelike, and free of distortions.
You just need to activate an anti-shaking knob for the framing of crystal clear, bright, and sharp pictures. The AKASO DV app connects this action camera with your tab or phone for real-time monitoring and sharing video and photo files on social media. This camera is housed in an extremely sturdy waterproof case that enables you to shoot and record footage undersea up to a depth of 30m.
- Versatile accessories supplied free of cost
- The 2-inch interactive IPS screen
- 100ft (30m) waterproof camera
- Wi-Fi companionable sports camera
- HDMI support for viewing on TV
- Camera lens viewing angle can be adjusted at 170°, 140°, 110°, and 70°
- Built-in gyroscope to prevent tremors and vibrations
- Take advantage of versatile accessories free of cost; accessories kit, remote control wristband, and two 1050mAh rechargeable batteries
- Intuitive gyroscope to avoid shaking and vibrations
- Record footages in 4K 24fps and 2K 30fps
The capacitive remote control of the Dragon Touch allows you to have total control over the device. Recording videos in 4K or framing snapshots is rendered a child’s play thanks to the receptive remote control. This wireless remote control comes in the form of a wristband, which makes monitoring the camera incredibly easy.
Activating image rotation and driving modes transform the action sports camera into a dashboard cam. For deleting older footages and continuing with recording current events, you simply need to trigger loop recording. You can make the most of 1X to 4X zoom for recording and backing up arresting photos and videos.
Dragon Touch supplies you mounting accessories such as dual rechargeable batteries (free of cost) for recording up to 3 hours of footage.
- 4K Ultra HD (UHD) action camera with 4X zoom
- 16MP camera
- Waterproof up to a depth of 30m underwater
- Wi-Fi compatible
- 2-inch wide capacitive screen
- 170° wide-angle lens
- Merely touching the wristband remote control lets you record footage or frame shots
- Switching on image rotation feature and driving mode turns the camera into a dashboard cam
- Time-lapse functionality imparts a semblance of fast and slow-moving footages
- Downloading the XDV app on tab or phone turns the device into a virtual camera, thanks to the built-in Wi-Fi in a camera
- Comes with mounting accessories, charger, and two 1080mAh batteries for pairing with most action cameras including GoPro
- Lacks image stabilization feature hence footage quality is abysmal
- Mainly ideal for those who are learning to use an action sports camera
The GoPro Hero5 waterproof digital action camera with a touch screen is another high-quality camera in the Hero Session GoPro series. This helmet camera for motorcyclists has been designed to capture breathtaking 4K videos and12MP illustrations in time-lapse, burst, and single-shot modes.
Designed with meticulous care, this action camera stays waterproof up to a depth of 33 feet (or 10m) without being housed in a case. You can playback or replay videos, go through images and pictures repeatedly, fine-tune footage, and modify settings with remarkable ease.
- Attention-grabbing 12MP photos in time-lapse, burst, and single modes
- 4K HD footages
- Robustly designed and created for long-term use
- Waterproof up to a depth of 40m underwater without casing
- Records smooth and impressive videos both in handheld and mounted modes
- A GoPro Plus subscription (optional) ensures hassle-free uploading of footage to the cloud
- Capture stunning pictures in multiple ways by merely touching a button
- Audio is crystal clear
- Make the most of voice control feature for managing camera
- Automatic uploading of videos to the cloud
- Make engaging videos using GoPro mobile editing software-Quick
- Buy an SD/SDHC card separately for recording additional footage
- Since batteries are not included, you may have to buy these as well
If you’re looking to capture gimbal-style footages without having to use a gimbal, then the Hero 7 Black from GoPro is your best bet. This action camera can preempt your movements, adjust, and self-correct for vibrations to capture footages of premium quality.
The GoPro Hero 7 is waterproof out and out without a casing, and HyperSmooth stabilization helps in recording smooth and realistic videos.
This action camera has been upgraded with an innovative photo mode that enables it to capture stunning shots automatically. The GoPro app and live streaming functionality make sharing your photo and footage file a breeze.
- HyperSmooth stabilization for recording premium quality videos
- Sturdy and waterproof camera body minus housing
- Control camera through voice commands
- Take ultra stabilized time-lapse footages and enhance speed up to 30 times
- Live to a stream of photos and footages and sharing across social media
- 4k 60fps videos and 12MP images: breathtaking images and footages
- Share your outdoor adventures live with video streaming across social media
- Tough construction
- Thoroughly waterproof
- Time warped video capturing and recording
- No live streaming and recording in 4K
- Prone to overheating quickly
- Battery life is impoverished
The 4K Action and Sports Camera is one of the best motorcycle helmet cameras you can choose as it captures astonishing 12M illustrations and high-resolution footage. You can select from an array of video and photo modes, including burst, timer, slow motion, and time-lapse. The capacitive LCD touchscreen makes the most of its proprietary receptive retina functionality and 330ppi high resolution for ensuring an unparalleled viewing experience.
2.19-inch thick Gorilla Glass thoroughly protects the touchscreen from sudden impacts, abrasions, grazes, and scratches. The potent 1200mAh rechargeable 4.4v battery helps record high-resolution videos up to 120 minutes and provides 8 hours of standby time. YI 4K action camera captures and reproduces crystal clear footages having a 3840 x 2160 resolution even in low light conditions.
- Always upgrade to the state-of-the-art firmware for enjoying versatile features
- Multiple snapshots and footage modes
- Voice control feature compatible with the most recent firmware
- Built-in hi-speed Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for monitoring the camera remotely
- The heavy-duty cooling mechanism keeps the camera from getting overheated
- Excellent quality of images and footages captured: videos-1080p/120fps and 720p/240fps
- 12MP camera with built-in Sony IMX377 image sensor
- State-of-the-art video stabilization feature helps capture crystal clear footages at 2.7k/60fps
- Interactive UI touchscreen: Inbuilt 2.2-inch intuitive LCD touchscreen with 640 x 360 resolution for hassle-free setting, shooting and previewing
- Gorilla Glass touchscreen is highly resistant to accidental impacts, scratches, and grazes
- Powerful rechargeable Li-ion battery capable of recording 2 hours of 4K/30fps footage on a single charge
- No image stabilization when recording at 4K
- Build quality could have been better
Hero Session has neatly packed the power and versatility of GoPro into this waterproof digital action camera, transforming it into a performance-oriented camera. Regardless of whether you’re a seasoned GoPro user or a first-timer, you’ll find this Hero Session GoPro camera very user-friendly. For switching on this camera and enabling it to record start recording automatically, you’ll simply need to press a button.
Once you’re through with recording and capturing snapshots of your motorcycling action, the camera powers off automatically, the GoPro has been innovatively designed to capture and record footages at 1080p at 60 fps and images of 8mp resolution. The GoPro being incredibly hard-wearing and thoroughly waterproof, does away with the requirement of housing it in a separate case.
- Weighs only 2.6ounce (74g): Very compact and portable
- High resolution (1440 pixels/inch) videos with almost 100fps
- Burst photo capture and time-lapse rates varying from 0.5-60 seconds
- Effortless single button control
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatible
- Sturdy, resilient, and waterproof
- More than thirty GoPro accessories and mounts
- Automatic uploading of video and image files straightaway to the cloud
- A GoPro Plus subscription means direct uploading of images and footages directly to the cloud
- Capturing and recording of footages in 720p100, 1080p60, and 1440p30
- Freezing of single 8MP photos and burst photos at 10fps with 0.5-60s timeframe lapse window
- Ideal for those using a Hero Session GoPro for the first time
- Includes mounting buckle hardware, micro-USB cable, flat and curved adhesive mount, and other standard accessories
- Longer battery life would have the equipment more performance-driven
- Active noise cancellation of mic leaves a lot to be desired
The AKASO Sports Action 12MP Wi-Fi Waterproof Camera ensures that you never miss the sublime moments while you’re snorkeling, hiking, mountaineering, cycling, or surfing. This sports action camera captures and records footages visually in 720P 30fps/1080P 30fps, making your videos appear brighter, sharper, and lifelike. This helmet camera features a 2-inch LCD screen reproduces pictures and representations of your recordings in real-time.
The 170° wide-angle lens guarantees that the camera does not miss anything while capturing videos or freezing images. Inbuilt Wi-Fi companionability makes sure you share your image and footage files on social media via your smartphone. This sports action camera from AKASO includes multiple accessories and nineteen mounting options companionable with SJCAM/GoPro Hero.
iSmart DV app converts your smartphone to a livewire remote video camera within a 10m (35 feet) radius.
- 170° wide angles camera lens with a 2” LCD screen
- Supports HDMI output
- Micro-SD card compatible
- Nineteen versatile and multifunctional accessories
- Built-in Wi-Fi for sharing and editing image and footage files
- Waterproof housing included
- Captures striking and extraordinary footages
- Freezing 12MP burst representations and illustrations
- AKASO action camcorder captures and records stunning and realistic footages
- 12MP camera frames shots in burst mode that are impressive and evocative
- Preinstalled Wi-Fi facilitates pairing of camera with tablet or smartphone for sharing video and photo files
- Waterproof (up to a depth of 30m) action sports camera perfect for outdoor activities
- 170° ultra-wide-angle lens makes sure you don’t miss anything in your surroundings
- Quality of footage is not good enough even at 1080 30fps
- Takes a little longer to start that is perceptible
The Crosstour 4K 20MP Wi-Fi, Remote Control Action Camera, is one of the most capable helmet cameras for motorcyclists. The ultra HD 4K camera allows you to record videos in a range of resolutions as per your requirements and convenience. Wi-Fi remote control functionality allows you to monitor the camera-simply press the gray knob for recording videos and the red button for taking snapshots.
This action camera from Crosstour can be paired with a selfie stick for recording videos and freezing images. The camera is housed in a waterproof case that protects the equipment from the elements as well as sudden jarring shocks, vibrations, and abrasions. The fact made from IP68 material also keeps the camera out of harm’s way when you’re diving underwater and descending up to a depth of 13ft.
- Camera monitoring via Wi-Fi
- 20MP 4K Ultra HD action camera
- The camera remains waterproof even when 133ft underwater
- Sports camera with built-in Wi-Fi
- Versatile mounting accessories including fixed-base strap, mounting kits, remote control, and two 1050mAh batteries
- Multiple recording modes like burst, time-lapse, self-timer and slow motion
- Automatic lens distortion correction results in the reproduction of brighter and sharper pictures
- Versatile mounting accessories also work with GoPro cameras
- Have full control over camera via built-in Wi-Fi compatibility
- Robust waterproof housing enables the camera to record underwater as well as in inclement weather
- Many buyers have reported facing issues with first-time charging
- Battery life gets reduced when the camera is paired with a phone through Wi-Fi
There are many good reasons why you should go for this X-Lounger 4K 30FPS 14MP Ultra HD Camcorder with Panasonic CMOS Dual Display. For a start, the X-Lounger is securely housed in a front casing built from hard-wearing aluminum alloy. Then again, the camera features a dual screen-a 0.25 inch OLED screen at the front and a 2-inch LCD screen at the back.
You can easily make the most of this K8R action camera’s original features using your tab, phone, or Wi-Fi enabled remote control. The camcorder records videos in 4K UHD resolution at the rate of thirty frames per second while the 14MP camera captures spectacular pictures. The package includes two 1050mAh batteries that run long enough for the camera to record your entire event.
A dual USB wall charger has been included that enables you to recharge the batteries quickly.
- Intuitive front screen lets you know camera status
- Sturdy aluminum front cover
- 4 inch back LCD screen
- 14MP camera captures shots in multiple modes
- Camcorder records footages in several modes
- The 2.4G wireless RF remote control comes in the form of a wristband
- Built-in Wi-Fi for complete camera control
- The 2.4G remote control can be worn on the wrist, facilitating smooth control
- Built-in Wi-Fi for previewing, playing back, downloading, editing and sharing photo and footage files
- Camcorder shoots videos in 4K 1080 60 fps/30fps,720p/120fps fast and slow motion
- Dual screen; OLED front screen and LCD screen at the rear
- HDMI output support for viewing recordings on a TV
- Comes with mounting hardware for installing on motorcycle/cycle helmet and automobile
- Switching between camera modes and menu selection is sluggish
- The Android/iOS app does not sync with the action camera
So, there you are- ten of the best motorcycle helmet cameras for you to choose from for capturing and recording your outdoor activities. Some of the reviewed helmet cameras that deserve a special mention include GoPro, Campark, AKASO, and Crosstour. While shopping for a premium quality helmet camera, you can bet your money on the three GoPro models, Campark, and AKASO models.
And if you’re looking for something that will not burn a hole in your pocket yet will perform effectively, then opt for Campark, Dragon Touch or AKASO Brave 4.