Are you looking for a premium headset with a quality microphone that can enable you to enjoy gaming as well as communicate clearly? Quality headphones equipped with a performance-oriented mic could go a long way in allowing you to have unparalleled gaming experience. Additionally, a high-quality microphone comes in perfectly handy when you need to hear every word the caller is saying and vice-versa.
Nowadays, microphone headsets make the most of active noise cancellation technology that enables the mic to block out background noise and disturbance. The more efficiently a headphone’s mic utilizes ‘active noise reduction,’ the more superior is the quality of sound the headset can reproduce. It is not only music enthusiasts that find microphone headsets immensely useful, but professionals like actors, musicians, and singers also use them extensively.
In this review article, we walk you through the 6 best Headset Microphones that you can buy. At the same time, we have provided a detailed buying guide that will help you to choose the mic headset that best serves your needs.
How to Choose the Best Headset Microphones in 2021
Though you will come across a variety of headset microphone models in the market, all of these are not created equal. That said, some headsets are designed keeping the needs of musicians, singers, and performers in mind. Then again, some headphones are exclusively made for gamers, and so on.
A top-quality headset should be able to strike a delicate balance between premium quality surround sound and voice chat features. The best headset brands more often than not come equipped with versatile add-on extras such as integrated volume control, automatically muting microphones, replaceable batteries, and so on.
Are you looking for a quality headset that you intend to use exclusively to tune in to your favorite songs? Or, you need one for an immersive gaming experience? The availability of multiple brands of headsets, each with its distinctive features, makes the task of choosing a product apt for your needs becomes a challenge.
The very first thing you need to consider before you go shopping for a headphone is to decide how you intend to use it. In this review section, we will walk you through the best 6 headsets with microphones with a varying price range. But before we explore the best headset microphones out there, we present a buyer’s guide that will help you to choose a model that best serves your needs:-
Type of Microphone
Since you are looking for a headset with a mic, obviously choosing the microphone type will be your primary concern. Most headset models come with a built-in mic embedded into the control panel of the cable. However, the quality of the audio reproduced by the mic of such a headset is not up to the mark.
Microphone with built-in receivers
If you’re thinking of going for a quality headset with a mic where you’d use the latter for merely accepting calls, then the purchase makes sense. But if you intend to use the headset (apart from gaming or listening to music) for taking and making calls where you can converse with the caller or receiver, then obviously you’ll need a quality mic. That being said, you should opt for a headset that comes with a microphone built into the receiver.
Headset with mic swings
Alternatively, you can choose a headset whose mic swings out so that you can talk straight away into the microphone. Headphones featuring swing out boom mic designs absorb noise or disturbance from only one direction (unidirectional). On the other hand, mics built-into the headset’s control panel, or receiver pick up sound from all directions (omnidirectional).
This point has been clarified under the ‘headphone directionality’ section.
Wired or Wireless
While shopping for a headset with a microphone, you’ll come across two distinct types- wireless and wired. You’ll also find headphones having a mic that works wirelessly as well as in wired mode. Wired headset models, as the name implies, come with extended output cords or wires designed for plugging directly into the headphone port of a smartphone.
Not only does the wired headset restrict the user’s mobility, but the elongated cord is highly vulnerable to getting convoluted. Managing a wireless headset model is much easier as it has a shorter output cord. The majority of wireless headsets are by and large, compatible with the popular mic brands, including Sennheiser, Logitech, and Corsair.
Most headsets available in the market have a mic that is either unidirectional or multidirectional (or omnidirectional). Headphones with unidirectional or directional mics that keep out background noise to the maximum tend to be the most popular with users. Omnidirectional mics are unable to filter out ambient or background noise as efficiently as the directional models, and hence not popular with singers or performers.
It does not need to be emphasized that you’d want to use the product for as long as possible. The top-quality microphone headsets will be constructed from a premium grade of materials, enabling you to use them for years. These headsets will usually feature contoured windscreens and large mics that are designed and created to stay functional for the long-term.
However, users could find such headsets a tad too hefty for consistent use. The lightweight models, in sharp contrast, are not only extremely portable but also comfortably fit on heads and ears of most audiophiles. These superlight headset models are ideal for singers and musicians for whom blocking out external noise is crucial.
Nevertheless, their most significant downside is that they are not sufficiently sturdy.
These days, the best Headset Microphones optimally exploit noise cancellation technology to block external noise or disturbance thoroughly. ‘Active noise control’ or ‘active noise reduction’ is a technology that many earphone manufacturers have been trying to make the most of for enabling headsets to reproduce premium quality audio. Bose is one such manufacturer that has some of the best in-ear and around-ear noise-canceling microphone headsets.
Active noise control technology entails using an additional mic for capturing and canceling out outside noise through ‘destructive interference.’ The more effectively a headset’s mic harnesses this technology, the better is it able to keep out external noise.
Naturally, you’ll want to buy a microphone headset featuring a battery that runs longer after a full charge rather than one that does not.
Any top-quality microphone headset will come with earpieces that not only fit comfortably but also do not stress out ears, especially when you are enjoying an extended session. Before you buy, put them around your head and ears to ensure that they fit snugly are not too tight-fitting or excessively loose.
Top 6 Best Headset Microphones of 2021 – Reviews
|1. Vont Bluetooth Headset with Microphone||Best for Truckers/Truck Drivers||4.8|
|2. Bose QuietComfort 35 II Bluetooth Headphones||Best Active Noise Cancellation||4.8|
|3. HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset||Offers Best Value for Money||4.6|
|4. Audio-Technica BPHS1 Broadcast Stereo Headset||Most User-Friendly Headset||4.3|
|5. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless||Most Versatile Mic Headset||4.6|
|6. AKG Y500 On-Ear Foldable Wireless Bluetooth Headphones||Most Affordable Headset||4.3|
When it comes to excellence in bluetooth headsets with microphones, it can only essentially mean superior quality in terms of materials and design and outstanding performance in terms of noise cancellation, the sound quality, and other features. And when it boils down to these two, the Vont Bluetooth Headset with Microphone comes second to none in the market.
Perfect for those who do not like “in ear” type headsets, Vont’s Bluetooth Headset with Microphone is the favorite choice of the majority of crazy-busy people like truck drivers, call center agents, office executives, and work-at-home moms and dads who always have to juggle a million tasks and would definitely appreciate having both hands free even when taking or making those calls.
With this monster of a bluetooth headset, you don’t have to worry about missing a call if you have a separate work phone from the personal phone you have as it can be easily paired with two devices at the same time. Oh and you even have to be holding any of those paired phones to take that call because of this headset’s 30′ roam range coverage .
And now to the most critical feature: thanks to the proprietary noise-canceling technology integrated into this revolutionary bluetooth headset from the leader in “smart electronics for smart homes” innovation Vont, you are able to carry on with your call on full clarity without having to be distracted by any background voice even when you’re in a busy area.
- Superb-quality noise-cancellation technology integration
- Ability to pair with multiple devices
- Incredibly lightweight, beautifully sleek design
- Extremely fast charging at 2 hours max for a 12-hour talk time
- Seamless and hassle-free pairing with multiple devices
- Comfortable fit, soft ear pads, and sturdy but flexible headband
- Versatile 330° swivel microphone arm
- 30’ roam range coverage
- 3-year warranty for everything
- Does not support media or music
The QuietComfort 35 II Bluetooth Headphones amply testifies that Bose is an undisputed leader when it comes to producing the best noise cancellation headphones. The QuietComfort 35 II is reinforced with Bose AR- an advanced audio-centric ‘augmented reality’ functionality-that filters out distracting background noises. Consequently, your eardrums pick up only the most soothing of audio that you would prefer to tune in to.
A multi-dimensional motion sensor, entrenched inside the headset, enables the Bose AR to reproduce audio depending upon your location. You can take advantage of Bose Connect app for unleashing the Bose AR features, adjusting noise cancellation level, access software updates, share music, and so on. Being Alexa-enabled, you can tap the headset’s features without even having to look at it.
- Bose Connect app and ‘action’ button for controlling noise cancellation at three distinct levels
- Volume-optimized EQ for uniform and consistent audio performance at any volume level
- Dual-microphone system facilitates communication with clarity even when you are in a busy area
- Hassle-free and seamless Bluetooth pairing, access to all future updates, and customized settings, thanks to the Bose Connect app
- The lithium-ion battery runs for a whopping twenty hours when fully charged
- Designed to fit comfortably on tops of a vast number of users
- QuietComfort II is delivered to you in a sleek and handy carrying case
- The headphone button may not pair with a device after using for some time
- Firmware updates could happen automatically without you approving the same
- The battery is not replaceable
- Very expensive compared to other similar models
If you’re looking for a very efficient headset that would enable you to immerse yourself fully in your favorite video games, then look no further than the HyperX. The HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset is an incredibly lightweight and comfy over-the-ear headphone that features foam ear cups with leatherette memory and an additional set of velour ear cups. The HyperX is one of the best Headset Microphones that optimally exploit active noise cancellation technology, and features a removable mic.
The 53mm hi-fi receptive tweeters reflect a wide range of audio frequencies ranging from15-25Khz, enabling your eardrums to pick up soothing bass, meds, and lows. This headset is companionable with a variety of gaming consoles, PCs, Android smartphones, and iPhones.
- The best headset for gaming enthusiasts and aficionados
- Embedded with 53mm driver units that reproduce topnotch audio
- Delivers enhanced bass and perfectly balanced high, mid, and low tones
- Ear cups reinforced with memory foam for keeping your ears comfortable during extended listening sessions
- Transposable ear cups for matching with different eardrum and sound profiles
- Every HyperX Cloud Headset pack contains the full set of accessories including velour and leatherette ear cushions
- Sturdy and handy mesh travel bag for carrying the headset along with the accessories
- The removable microphone has a slim mic windscreen that can be unplugged and plugged with ease
- The microphone is not as durable as the manufacturer claims it to be
- The poor quality of the internal wiring could make the headphones go kaput after some time
The USP of the BPSH1 Broadcast Stereo Headset from Audio-Technica is the top-quality audio. It reflects which is simply music to your ears. The BPHS1 is your best bet in case you’re looking for a microphone headset for live broadcasts or real-time streaming. Unlike most other headphones that have a 3.5mm jack, this stereo headset features an XLR input.
So, if your audio system is not XLR-input compatible, you will have to buy an adapter for making the system companionable. The headphones are implanted with 40mm tweeter drivers that deliver punchy crisp bass, which broadcasters, gamers, and performers crave for. The innovatively designed stereo headset allows you to replace the ear pads and the cables as per your convenience.
- Cardioid mic featuring a wide frequency range with a polarized pattern for reproducing natural audio
- Closed-back circumaural ear cups make good use of active noise cancellation technology for filtering out background noise
- Both the ear cups and mic have 40mm neodymium-magnet drivers for full sound reproduction
- Robust yet lightweight design together with thick headband cushioning keeps the user’s ears and head comfortably
- Mic with boom-mount facilitates positioning the mic on the right or left side
- Comes equipped with the full set of accessories like cables, 3-pin XLRM-style connector, and three extra windscreens
- Lightweight yet hardy design with cushioned and adaptable headband
- Contrary to claims by the manufacturer, the user could feel uncomfortable after sustained use
- Does not have Bluetooth
- You may have to buy an XLR adaptor in case your system does not have one
- The initial part of the extension cord is susceptible to vibrations
If you wish to take pleasure in tuning in to crystal clear sound wirelessly, then do not look beyond the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. This advanced microphone headset ticks all the (right) boxes in terms of comfort, aesthetics, and performance. Proprietary momentum sound is guaranteed, thanks to Bluetooth technology’s coordination with engineering proficiency.
Bluetooth matching up with any NFC-compatible device becomes a breeze, thanks to the NFC (Near Field Communication) feature. Complete blocking out of ambient or background noise is guaranteed owing to ‘Noise Gard’ active noise cancellation technology. Voice Max makes sure you can communicate clearly when you create or take calls without any drop in audio clarity.
- Mighty battery with a 22-hour running life even with Active Noise Cancellation and Bluetooth
- Pair up to eight gadgets and connect computer and phones at the same time
- Enjoy the superlative quality of music, thanks to the dual inbuilt microphones that keep out external noise
- Compacted headband retracts and collapses for storage and transportation in the included soft case
- Leathered ear cushions ooze trendiness, and stainless steel headband amplifies durability
- The noise cancellation quality is good but not as good as the Bose headsets
- Adjusting the headset over the head could take some doing
- The bass reproduction is somewhat exaggerated
- The leather headband is not padded sufficiently
- Earpads could have been a tad larger
The AKG Y500 Headphones deliver smooth, crisp, and balanced multi-dimensional tenors instead of overemphasized, overwhelming bass. Your tympanums pick up every byte of sound, thanks to the extraordinary detailing.
Ambient Aware Technology lets you regulate ambient noise as per your preference, letting you enjoy music yet keeping you firmly grounded. This on-ear foldable headphone from Samsung also has some unique features that you can exploit to the hilt. For instance, the headset can pair up to two Bluetooth-compatible devices and lets you take pleasure in up to thirty-three hours of musical sessions.
- Extremely comfortable and built to last; features memory foam ear cups, feather-touch headband, and aluminum framework
- Volume levels can be easily adjusted without having to remove headphones
- Stops playing automatically when you remove the headphones
- Mighty battery: extended running life
- Ambient Aware technology allows you to monitor ambient noise by merely touching a button
- Mic could start feeling uncomfortable following extended or prolonged use
- The mic is not suitable for use by professional singers, performers, musicians, and broadcasters
Selecting the 6 best Headset Microphones for this review was a tall order as the market is replete with numerous good quality brands. Nevertheless, after sifting through several products, we found 6 models worthy of review. We selected one product each from Bosch, Kingston (HyperX Cloud), Sennheiser, Samsung (AKG Y500), and Audio-Technica based on parameters like active noise cancellation, ergonomic design, and so on.
If you’re looking for a good mic headset that makes optimum use of noise cancellation, then go for Bose QuietComfort 35 II. However, bear in mind it comes at a price, costing upwards of $300. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a budget headset mic that effectively accomplishes the primary job of active noise reduction, then buy the AKG Y500.