In this guide, we are about to comb through the eight best ceiling speakers of 2019, as in the recent years they’ve gone from the unobtainable accessories that are encountered on MTV Cribs to fantastic reality.
For most of us, in-ceiling speakers are not something that we have typically given much thought to unless the job descriptions have actually necessitated making the PA system for different business premises or just installing the home theater set-up.
Along with electronic and audio technology growing at a rapid pace and a steady decrease in the fabrication overheads, installment of the ceiling speakers at your work-space or in your home has now become a way to get a fantastic indoor audio system without sacrificing your floor-space for a cost-free standing model.
Whether you’ve got the constricted floor space or want to get rid of the messy wires, or massive bookshelf speakers which spoil your decoration these modern ceiling speakers are a perfect addition to the sound system set up.
Top 8 Best Ceiling Speakers 2019
1. Polk Audio RC80i – Set of 2 Perfect for Damp Placement – Best Audio Quality
The RC80i is a fantastic pair of 8″ ceiling speakers which are now high up on the customers’ list. They sound fantastic, and Polk Audio offers a lifetime warranty.
When you want some thrill with the overhead surround audio, then pair them with the home theater system.
These are a two-way setup. The speakers are lightweight that is weighs about 4.3 pounds. They also boast a strong timbre and a sweet acoustic.
Their color is pretty sweet. These speakers are in the white finish. Polk speakers are made of rubber, polymer-composite, and metal that explains why it comes in reasonably weighted.
These are moisture and rust resistant. These are appropriate to be used in your bathrooms, kitchens, and saunas.
- Easy to run.
- Solid speakers and robust.
- Very simple to install.
- It gives high-level flexibility.
- Great frequency response.
- Their sound could be a bit intuitive.
2. Pyle PWRC65BT – Full Range Active Passive Speaker System – Best Bluetooth Wireless Receiver
The Pyle PWRC65BT speakers cost less. These are easy to install and run. They come with Bluetooth connectivity that cuts the wire clutter out. With the Bluetooth, you might connect these speakers to other devices & stream your favorite music every day. It is compatible with all appliances, provided that the device has Bluetooth-enabled.
They come with the low-bottom end response. The pair of speakers pack 300-watt power capacity that is great for volume. These speakers give loud sound and clear audio quality.
To ensure speakers’ durability, they come with a durable cone. The cone is made from polypropylene material. It features the rubber edge. Its rubber edge boosts the cone’s life & makes your speakers perfect for the custom audio application.
- The simple installation comes with the mounting brackets.
- Quite affordable.
- 300-watt power offers amazing audio at an affordable price.
- No rear enclosure makes it not appropriate for the high moisture environments.
3. Micca M-8C – Pivoting 1″ Silk Dome Tweeter – Best integration between tweeter and woofer
This speaker does come as one speaker. But, it is undoubtedly well priced. You aren’t losing at all. In case, you are a bass head; you can check out this speaker. This speaker delivers superb audio quality with excellent bass frequencies. They’re simple to install.
This speaker does come in the Media range, so it belongs to the variety of speakers. It’s made to be used along with other speakers when you need great tonal matching.
Installation is smooth like the most ceiling speakers. But, be careful. You have to use your screwdriver than some power drill. The power drill will break on its tabs.
- Comes with an 8” woofer which controls the bass well.
- Sold singly hence you might get the right number of speakers that you want without purchasing excess.
- Very easy to install.
- It gives excellent value for money. Affordably charged.
- You would still need to tweak it to take its sound from good to perfect.
- A few customers might prefer more depth in sound.
- Its grills occasionally come to lose as they aren’t screwed on.
4. Yamaha NS-IW280CWH – Swivel Tweeter – Best Paintable Aluminum Grille
The Yamaha has been getting mostly positive reviews from its customers. It does hold the spot being the most famous ceiling speakers available in the market.
Affordable comes with a two-year warranty and it is satisfied its customers in terms of quality and performance.
These speakers are quite affordable. You are getting two superb high-quality audio systems in the house.
They will fit into the ceiling easily, and the good news is their installation just a breeze. Most customers told that its template was quite helpful because this meant nearly anybody would install them. This speaker does connect with a wire. The cones are 6.5” so speakers are 6.5” and completely versatile.
- High-definition and fantastic sound quality.
- Easy installation.
- Quite affordable.
- Pretty lightweight.
- Wiring might be concealed easily in the ceiling.
- Swivel tweeters assist in dispersing the sound.
- Few customers weren’t impressed with its bass.
- Doesn’t ship outside of America
5. Polk Audio RC60i Speakers – Speakers for Indoor/Outdoor Placement – Best Rubber Seal
The RC60i speaker is a younger brother to Polk RC80i. But do not underrate the speakers, these are superb & work for any sound system. You could quickly fix the speakers anywhere you like. Because of the class and quality of the material which Polk Audio is used to make them, the RC60i speakers are fully water-resistant.
It means that the speakers could work everywhere even though the places would have moisture. For example, you may install them in your kitchen, your bathroom, or your sauna. And, the best thing is, these don’t need much space for the installation that gives you more options.
The speakers are also round ones so when they are installed, they look like a lighting fixture in an unobtrusive, recessed fashion. But, there is nothing recessive as far as their sound is concerned. This comes out glorious.
- Provides flexible and convenient installation.
- Tweeters and drivers make sure that their sound is dispersed correctly, clear, and well-balanced.
- The speakers are easy to install with a simple manual
- Moisture-resistant and durable and so could be used in your saunas, bathrooms, and kitchens
- High-quality sound with fantastic audio quality
- Comes with the rotating cams for protecting speakers
- Could be pricey to install.
- Quite expensive than the competition.
6. Bose Virtually Invisible 791 – Full-Range Performance – Best Standard Dogleg Clamps
The 791 II is the pair of Bose speakers. And, it takes a lot of courage to call the speakers “Virtually Invisible.” However, it goes to reveal the confidence level that boss speakers are offering in these speakers.
Bose calls it “Virtually Invisible” as the 791 II are quite thin. These are so thin that it feels like there are no speakers at all. Their grille is also paintable. Hence, you could camouflage it into the color of the room to assist them to remain hidden.
Plus, the grilles are attached magnetically that means you could easily fit it on and take this off. But, it is yet hard enough that there is no or little chance of the grilles bending out of its shape.
All right, the speakers are quite pricey. Hence, we expect a level of great excellence while it comes to its audio quality. That is what we generally get here.
- The sound is balanced and quite clear.
- Power handling is superb.
- It is so thin that it is almost invisible
- Comes with the magnetic grille
- A bit expensive speakers.
7. Boston Acoustics HSi 480 – Deep Channel Design Woofer – Best Reduced Bezel Design
The 8” speaker, invisible design, Boston HSi is fantastic. It isn’t the highest end speaker that you will see on the market. But this does a good job anyway.
It comes with the excellent woofer along with what the Boston Acoustics HIS calls “Deep Channel Design.” Its woofer assists your speaker in delivering cranium, quality shaking bass. And, the best thing is that your speaker will only want some power from an amp to give this much.
There is a Kortec tweeter that assists in keeping its high frequencies clean at the high volumes too. Moreover, with its tweeter, you might ensure that the speaker would disperse clear sound. This way, the speaker offers well-balanced sound anywhere in your room.
- Simple to install the speaker.
- Slim and nice design.
- Crystal-clear sound.
- It’s a bit costly for only one speaker.
8. Niles CM7SI (Ea) Loudspeaker – 2-Way Stereo Input – Best Quality Butyl Surround
Niles CM7SI speaker is the hideaway speaker. It means the speaker would work great even in very tight spaces where this will, otherwise, just impractical to set multiple speakers.
This speaker comes with the inputs for right and left channels. So, with only one speaker, you can reproduce the whole stereo music signal.
And, thanks to its hideaway design, it makes a fantastic speaker for every type of venues. The speaker could work even in hallways, galley kitchen, and any spot where you like to listen to good music.
This speaker is unbelievable having a 7″ glass-fiber woofer that is amazing. It makes the speaker 1/2 inch larger as compared to other regular speakers. Also, though not an 8-inch speaker, it still delivers full, rich bass better than several other speakers.
Its dome tweeters are very nice. Fluid-cooled UltraSilk 1″ tweeters are positioned at the opposite angles that help in dispersing the music & separate its audio; hence two music channels are entirely audible.
This speaker is water-resistant too as its material used to make this is water-resistant and sturdy. Also, the speaker comes with a lifetime warranty. It comes with the magnetic grille that makes its installation pretty easy.
- Comes with the water-resistant parts, it could work even in the high-moisture spaces
- Hideaway, slim design
- Simple to install this speaker.
- Excellent bass as well as sound
- Durable and sturdy.
- Quite pricey for a single speaker unit.
What are the best ceiling speakers?
A ceiling speaker exactly does work in the way as other traditional speakers. The big difference is that they usually come without a cabinet to keep them in. In case, you’ve perused any article related to the speakers then you would have ascertained that the enclosures are typically pivotal in shaping as well as enhancing the audio clarity and boosting the working of speakers’ drivers within. While ceiling speakers have a lot of benefits over the floor speakers that you cannot argue their aesthetics they also have some drawbacks as well.
What to see while purchasing ceiling mounted speakers?
The ceiling speakers are very simple to install that’s a priority for you, but the primary concern is their audio quality. The speakers must not be bulky. All circuitry must be impeccable to remove the fire risks. It’s okay if they could be adjusted and positioned adequately because if the speakers are pointed straight down, then the sound is projected into the carpeting and bounced off or dampened of tough floors that dramatically affect their audio quality.
Installing a ceiling speaker in your home means that the ceiling space becomes the enclosure, so, it’s paramount that your ceiling speaker is planned, researched, & constructed with such designs that do consider the issues which might come with this and handle them.
Things to Consider While Buying Ceiling Speakers
There’re some critical points to see before looking for the best ceiling speakers. Installment of the ceiling speakers is so much easy. You need to make sure that your ceiling speaker is mounted correctly.
1. The Depth of a Speaker
In case, you get a look in the ceiling then check out if there’re some low hanging obstacles or beams that you need to take into account. Few ceilings have a bit clearance between roof and ceiling boards. In some situations, you might even have some additional layer of the insulation above your ceiling.
2. The Weight of a Speaker
It is crucial to check out whether or not the ceiling boards could take more pressure from your speakers. Most ceilings do not have any problem, but for thin ceiling boards, you might have to check load rating out.
The ceiling speakers are usually not powered. It means that they need the amplification from an amplifier or a receiver. You also need to be sure that you have also budgeted for it if you do not already have it. All you need to do is you should visit the market and see which receiver or amplifier to buy.
You will have to connect the ceiling speakers to a receiver or amplifier. Getting into ceiling needs a long cable and not an average theater installation. You also need to make sure that have you measured your cable runs precisely. Take into consideration length to your wall, around any obstacles, up the wall, and to your speaker in the ceiling.
Mounting of a ceiling speaker we suggest in this guide is quite simple, but, you would still need a few tools. The following list consists of tools that you will need while installing your ceiling speakers.
- Screwdriver – You will have to tighten all screws to fix your speakers. Usually, a multi-head screwdriver would be good to tackle the screw head.
- Measuring Tape – The measuring tape would make sure that your speaker placement is right. You do not need an uneven or uneven speaker placement.
- Diagonal Pliers – They come in handy while cutting the speaker cable. They could be used in stripping the cable.
- Drill – Before using it, use your drill for getting the pilot hole.
- Pencil – you need to mark out the speaker holes & placement just before cutting. Get an eraser in your hand to clear sharp lines that you do not need. Make sure the eraser will not leave any marks or smudges.
- Carpenter’s Level – It is not too vital for the ceiling speakers; however, when you want to mount ceiling and wall speakers at a time, then the level would be essential for a wall speaker.
- Utility Knife – It is a useful tool for stripping the opening packaging and speaker cable.
- Jab Saw – It is used for cutting drywall, ceiling board or sheetrock.
How to mount Ceiling Speakers?
Most manufacturers have always kept the mounting of speakers simple, implementing just one or two-step methods. These vary a bit from one another. A few speakers include more safety measures which aren’t overly difficult and you ought not to need some professional. You would need some knowledge regarding the pipes, ceiling space, and wiring and you would have to recheck with the building inspectors about fire safety risks.
The key point to check is about how many channels you’ll have & how many ceiling speakers will be vital for the space that you’re hoping to cover with audio. There’re handy instructional manuals that come with the ceiling speakers so you would not face difficulty while installing your speakers.
How many times would I need to change ceiling speakers?
The ceiling speakers do not need to be replaced quite often. It was a significant issue with the older models; however, it is the thing of gone days when you are buying from a reputable retailer or manufacturer then no need for frequent change.
You would only have to change a ceiling speaker only if this gets damaged, when it blows or shorts, or when it gets terrible. A drawback along with the ceiling speaker is that you do not know how this would sound until it’s already installed in the ceiling.
Also, audio electronics is continuously growing, and quite often companies are upgrading or refining products, including the latest technology & improvements from better, newer, and pricey lines to the maiden models. Hence, you might imagine a significant change from time to time when you keep ears on the ground & be alert for what is new.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Could I use my in-wall speakers in the ceiling?
Generally, every surround speaker like in the ceiling and the in-wall speaker is the same. So, there might be some odd situation where few speakers are specially designed for working better in the ceiling, but most of the time these both kinds of speakers can be interchanged easily.
What does the Crossover mean?
The crossover is a little device which is used for dividing a single input signal and turns this into 2 or 3 output signals.
What do directional speakers typically mean?
It refers explicitly to a tweeter that might be angled or directed in a particular way to target the sound flow coming out of the speakers differently.
How many in-ceiling speakers do I need in the room need?
Though, there is no strict rule to this so you will generally need just one pair of the in-ceiling speakers for your home.
We’ve listed the best in-ceiling speakers which you could find easily in the market. A lot of the customers who purchased these ceiling speakers are quite happy as the speakers give a high-quality sound which they do expect from these. You need to take some time and select that one which suits your requirements.
Technology is continuously evolving, and the snowballing effect in the ceiling speakers is becoming a new reality in the home setups. There is a fierce competition among different companies on getting their products 1st position in terms of good-quality; you could also get a great deal when you know what exactly you’re looking for.
And, with the buyer’s market, you’ll have no issue in finding a pair of speakers appropriate for your setup, and you will not disappoint with the best ceiling speakers options that we have given in this guide.
I hope that you’ve learned some advantages of installing ceiling speakers in your home from this article.