In early April, it was announced that Spotify was going to announce something new, prior to the event, a photo surfaced showing off a completely re-designed native iPad app. Sadly, at Spotify’s event, they only announced a new partnership with Coca-Cola, the only mention of the iPad app came during a Q&A session, where it was mentioned that the app was coming along nicely.
Well wait no more, the Spotify updated their existing iPhone app, which now doubles as a universal app, meaning one version works on both your iPad and iPhone. The new iPad app has been outfitted with support for the new iPad’s Retina display, complete with high-res album art. The overall look of the app has a very Sparrow/Facebook feel, but with a sense of unique-ness about it. Aside from just Retina support, Spotify also added some other new features, like:
- Even easier to browse and explore Spotify’s entire 18 million* song catalog
- New ‘Now Playing’ full-screen view with high-definition cover art
- Search for playlists, users and music – all from the same view
- Check out what’s hot and find trending playlists & songs amongst your friends
- Inbox grouped by user for easy searching
- Gapless playback and crossfade
- AirPlay integration
We’ve included two screen shots of the app from our iPad and below is a video from Spotify. If you haven’t check out the service, I fully recommend it.