Last week, Rockstar announced that they were planning to bring the original Max Payne to both the iOS and Android mobile platforms. Rockstar said the iOS version was going to be release first, today, while the Android version will drop later, on April 26th.
While it seems to have taken all day, the game has finally landed on the U.S. App Store and has been released for a surprisingly low, $2.99. It was believed that Max Payne would retail for $4.99, to match another Rockstar game, Grand Theft Auto III, but it looks like Rockstar is giving customers a great game for a amazing price. To sweeten the deal, the game even offers Retina display visuals on both the iPhone and the new iPad.
Max Payne Mobile offers players the following features:
• Max Payne’s signature slow motion gunplay, Bullet Time®
• Stunningly sharp, HD quality resolution and textures
• Retina supported resolution for the new iPad
• Gameplay tailored for touch screen devices
• Highly customizable controls
• Multiple aiming modes
• Rockstar Social Club integration to track stats, unlock cheats (level skip cheat included) and more
(*Rockstar Social Club supported on the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad only. Cheats are still accessible on older devices.)
Max Payne, the first video game to truly do “bullet-time” right, was a big hit on the Xbox and PS2. Max was an ex-cop that become a DEA agent who gets framed for the murder of his wife and child. Players are then thrusted into an action packed adventure and will try to help solve the mystery behind the people who framed him.